cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we monitor Microsoft Outlook from Dynatrace SAAS/Managed?

hmor3
Inactive

Hi Team,

we need to monitor Microsoft Outlook from Dynatrace.

I cann see there is no direct option to capture Outlook health via oneagent , please let me know if ther is any alternate option like Plugin or anything via DCRUM or even appmon?

Thanks

Himanshu Mor

8 REPLIES 8

pahofmann
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I don't see a way to monitor Outlook with Dynatrace Agent Based approches.

For outlook we have used Synthetic Monitoring before and integrated it with dynatrace.

For Exchange Monitoring you could use DCRUM.

Dynatrace Certified Master, AppMon Certified Master - Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the update!

I believe DCRUM can monitor Ecxhnage Traffic Front end metrics like HTTP errors & TCP errors in the traffic.please correct me if i am having wrong information here.

We want to monitor Outlook or exchange from a troubleshooting perspective for ongoing issues like unable to send emails/receive emails and other related issues.

So we need to monitor metrics like :

Local Queue Length

Remote Queue Length

Messages Delivered per Second

Messages Received per Second

Connection Queue Length

Send Queue Size - Public Folders

Receive Queue Size - Mailboxes

Receive Queue Size - Public Folders

Folder Opens per Second - Mailboxes

Or if some dedicated agent based option is available , it would be welcome that can provide RCA for the issues using AI .

Thanks

Himanshu Mor

You are right - DC RUM can monitor the connection between Client and Server and give you transaction time for "open calender" e.g. or give you number of errors seen on the protocol.

I assume the only possibility for the monitoring you are searching for is trying to request these metrics via API from the exchange server and pushing it into Dynatrace

Dynatrace Consultant and Center of Excellence Expert

hayden_miedema
Inactive

Dynatrace does have an agentless solution for these types of applications that is in the works, but is not currently available. This is going to be done via a browser extension that then injects the Javascipt agent into the webpage. This would only be for RUM monitoring, but I would keep an eye out for more info around this from the blog.

Hi @Hayden M.,

Thanks and keep me posted for further updates on this!

Our objective is to monitor outlook in a way that we can troubleshoot real life problems with Dynatrace for Outlook.

Thanks

Himanshu Mor

Hi Hayden,

I already tested the Injection via Browser Plugin and itis great. But how would it work for Outlook, which is not a webpage?

It could be used for Outlook Web Acces but not the rich clien tI assume @Himanshu M. is talking about.

Dynatrace Certified Master, AppMon Certified Master - Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

AlexanderSommer
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

A plugin for the non browser based Outlook is not planned. Perhaps you can use our Real user monitoring OpenKit API and implement your own plugin:
https://www.dynatrace.com/news/blog/digital-touchp...

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/user-experience/custom-applications/how-do-i-instrument-my-custom-applications-using-dynatrace-openkit/

Thanks @Alexander S. for clarifying that Non-browser based Outlook is not planned !

I will check for possiblities on writing own plugin!

Thanks

Himanshu Mor

Featured Posts