cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to group service requests based on other data than just the URL?

Enrico_F
Pro

For example, is it possible to group web requests based on request parameters or header values?

9 REPLIES 9

michael_kopp
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Not right now, can you give me a couple of examples of what you want to group by with header values or request parameters?

Enrico_F
Pro

Common examples for useful request parameters would be any framework parameters carrying state and flow control information, component names (Richfaces etc.) but also simple item or product IDs or even just a form name. For header values it could be things like userdatajsf, soapaction or any non-standard client-address information.

michael_kopp
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

ok. How important is this in your case. And if you group requests by a request parameter, you would loose the URL information in the service screen for those requests, is that ok?

Enrico_F
Pro

I consider this to be fairly important (if not essential) in cases where the URL is simply not sufficient enough to provide a meaningful business context for performance monitoring. In our specific case this would apply to a few highly critical backoffice applications (e.g. not internet-facing).

Losing the URL information in the service screen would be okay if the naming/grouping rules would still allow (partial) URL matching in addition to request parameters, headers etc.

michael_kopp
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

@Enrico F. Thanks for the information, we will keep it in mind. Once available it will be posted on our product blog.

Has there been any progress made regarding this? I'm not sure how to effectively search the product blog...

Yes see here: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/server-side-services/request-attributes/how-can-i-name-my-requests-based-on-request-attributes/

michael_kopp
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

All there has been a lot of improvement here: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/server-side-services/request-attributes/how-can-i-name-my-requests-based-on-request-attributes/

Can we group service requests in Dynatrace 6.1