cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is monitoring business processes possible with Dynatrace Managed?

andras_kovacs
Newcomer

We'd like to monitor business processes with Dynatrace Managed. Is it possible?

By a business process I mean the following steps: let's say a user logs into a portal, orders a cell phone, makes payment and logs out. I'd like to see, if this steps were successfull with some monitoring data.

6 REPLIES 6

rodrigo_alvare1
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hello Andras,

With conversion goal you can set, for example the successful payment page or method as a conversion. Then you can analyze every single visit that had this conversion (so every single user action).

Regards

Thank you, Rodrigo!

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

It depends on a clear definition of what you want to view and measure. With conversion goals, you have the "business" point of view - how many sessions have reached a particular goal. Typically it won't give you any clues if a step failed or the user just did not process to a step you expected him/her to go.

On the other side - server side monitoring will give you exact reasons why a particular request (that is not necessarily a user action) failed. That's more the operations view. With clever usage of request attributes, you can evaluate business processes "status" on the server side and see if particular steps fail or not and see the reasons.

I'd recommend to set your expectations very very clearly and determine if it is the DEM (real user monitoring) or server side. Typically you will end up of using both.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Basically, what I mean by business process monitoring is the feature like Business iQ  provided by AppDynamics. Comparing Dynatrace with AppDynamics, can we say that Dynatrace can deliver the same monitoring in terms of this feature?

I'm not familiar with Business IQ, however by comparing the data presented on the screenshots I think Dynatrace definitely provides such features.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Thank you Július!

Featured Posts