cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a CPU Browser equivalent in Dynatrace similar to what appmon has?

dave_deleo
Inactive

In Dynatrace managed I am looking for the CPU browser equivalent that is used by appmon for helping create custom sensors. Does anyone know if there is one as I am not seeing it. It looks like to create a custom service you have to already know the class. When you are trying to determine the entry point to a new custom service trial & error is a must and so the CPU browser was very helpful to quickly try different entry points. This is because from what I have seen dealing with many customers most need a little reminder to help them weed through the choices. Hoping if there is not one that there will be one in the future.

Thanks,

David

5 REPLIES 5

skrystosik
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Do you mean CPU sampling? In Dynatrace there is no option to force CPU sampling, but your services during transaction tracing has as well option to go to method hotspots (for all, filtered, or single purepath). There you have what you need.

If you don't see important transaction (entry point) in any available services, go to the one called background threads (Process => CPU => CPU Detailed breakdown => Background threads => Code level). In this service there are results of CPU sampling that cannot be connected to particular purepath.

Sebastian

Regards, Sebastian

dave_deleo
Inactive

Hi Sebastian! In appmon when you want to create a custom sensor there is a browse button to click. From there you can click the process you are interested in and generate a class list. Each class list you can then drill into to see deeper into the class until you get to its methods.

The problem with the transaction tracing is that if you do not have a start of a purepath (in most batch cases this is true) you are not going to see much. This is why you have to create a custom sensor. But to create a custom sensor you have to know what class and method to pick to start the purepath. Or use in appmon the class browser which will help you find your classes and methods to pick from.

Thanks,

David

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Actually this functionality is there but instead of requiring you to manually turn it on Dynatrace is automatically performing this over time. If you go into Diagnostic Tools you'll see a CPU Profiler (CPU Analysis) where you can find what you're looking for all of your monitored process groups over time.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/how-to-use-dynatrace/diagnostics/cpu-analysis/

This is similar if not the same to CPU sampling in AppMon.

skrystosik
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Actually new Appmon class browser is limited in the same way as in Dynatrace. If you want to find new entry point, you will have to create new custom service. In such way you can go to settings and there you will be able to create custom service. For .net, java, php you have browser where you can pick process, select package name, class name. Then you will be able to pick class and store it as new entry point. This will result of creating new service. You can add multiple entry points to every custom service.

If you only need sensor you will have to create custom attribute. You will do it in settings as well. Scenario is the same, but in result you can pick if you want to get Sam argument from method or not. If I only need to see custom method on purepath I’m picking occurrences. Then each request which will have this method inside will be tagged with request attribute.

Option how to find entry points from data collected by cpu sampling I have described before.

Sebastian

Regards, Sebastian

dave_deleo
Inactive

Thanks James! Thanks Sebastian! You have been a great help to me. You guys rock!!

Thanks,

David

Featured Posts