cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to create SLO on Key User Action visually complete times?

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi guys,

Customer created few KUAs and ask to create SLO on each one of them.

So we wanted to create a metric for counting KUA invocations with visually complete faster then the median and another metric for the total invocations of this KUA, in order to divide the first with the second. 

But there is no way to create a metric for visually complete for key user action, only action duration is available.

Then we thought on setting the APDEX for each KUA manually but we have found that there is no APDEX metric for KUA only for application....

So question here is: Is there a way to create SLO on Key User Action visually complete times?

Thanks in advance 

Yos    

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can create the metric in the metric settings of the App:

Dante_0-1622384700493.png

You must select the action name, then it should be available to use it as a metric for the SLO. Never did something like this so I would assume that there are additional steps to have only the faster than the median values.

Hi @Anonymous 

Yep that was our first step to get the total number of call to this KUA, but for the next step on how to count the fast invocations (i.e. faster then 90 percentile) we did not find a way to do that .... 😞 

Yos 

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

r_weber
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi @Yosi_Neuman ,

not sure if that helps, but in the Application itself you can create calculated metrics. you can select visually complete there and specify a limit/filter on time which would only count the ones above a certain time (your SLO target).

r_weber_0-1622447687884.png

Then also create one that counts all key action invocations regardless of the VC time and use both metrics in the SLO to determine how many were above and below (effectively calculating the SLO target). That's how I do it.

Reinhard

Certified Dynatrace Master, Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

Hi @r_weber 

We tried that too, but the issue with this one is that the only filter here is action duration and there is no visually complete filter 😞

Yosi_Neuman_0-1622448360502.png

So we are back in square one  

Yos 

r_weber
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

If I'm not completely wrong "Action Duration" in that case (when you select "Visually Complete" as the KPI) refers to "Visually complete" timing. Though not really intuitive...

r_weber_0-1622477807453.png

Certified Dynatrace Master, Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

@r_weber We have checked that and its look like the duration time not visually complete. 

I agree with @Yosi_Neuman , it seems it's just the user action duration metric described here.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

I don't think that's possible at the moment as the metric is calculated on the flight and you don't have percentiles in it.

You can do the query for good user actions using USQL, but then you won't be able to use SLO. 
It seems that for monitoring user-oriented objectives USQL is a more flexible way to go, albeit not usable for real-time monitoring and SLO input.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Hi @Julius_Loman 

Will add RFE for this capability to SLO / metrics 

Thanks !

Yos 

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Eventually we will use here APDEX metric for KUA 

Yosi_Neuman_0-1622471909985.png

Yosi_Neuman_1-1622471935313.png

It's not perfect but it's better than nothing 🙂

Yos 

Late reply, sorry... This is essentially what I did, except that I multiplied the metric by 100 because it's an SLO (range 0-100%) based on an Apdex, not a pure Apdex (range 0-1), and I included only real users:

(100)*(builtin:apps.web.action.apdex:filter(and(eq("User type","Real users"))):splitBy())

Obviously, the Target/Warning percentages also get multiplied by 100 (in effect), meaning 80 and 90, rather than 0.8 and 0.9.

Featured Posts