cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Log Analytics (monitoring logs from cron jobs, which have no process group)

mike_prior
Participant

Hi,

I have some scripts, such as a backup script, which get executed via cron, and output errors to a log file. There is no process group for these logs. is there a way that I can Dynatrace to monitor these logs. I am using DTSAAS.

Thanks

Mike

7 REPLIES 7

pahofmann
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

What kind of cron jobs are this? If you are running sh/bash scripts you might be out of luck. If you run an java app via cron it would be possible.

Dynatrace Certified Master, AppMon Certified Master - Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

mike_prior
Participant

Hi Patrick,

Yes bash backup scripts, and hive scripts

Mike

I don't think there is a way (yet) to add custom logs for gathering by the OneAgent if there is no Process Group for the Process.

Dynatrace Certified Master, AppMon Certified Master - Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

mike_prior
Participant

A nifty way to do this, is to use Logstash, with the Log files as Inputs with no Outputs configured, and add the log files to the Logatash process

pawel_brzoska
Inactive

You can manually add this to any process you want. You can also configure agents to track processes that are not monitored by default.

mike_prior
Participant

Thanks Pawel. I thought the process group would need to update the log, for changes to be detected. I will try and manually add the log under the xinetd process.

pawel_brzoska
Inactive

That's true for automatic log discovery. Manual log mapping is workaround for this.

Featured Posts