cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multidimensional analysis and performance monitoring for my application's REST API

phalgun
Newcomer

Hello

I have a JAVA web application that I am monitoring in production. This application has recently started exposing a REST API that other applications I monitor are calling. I would like to set up a multidimensional analysis to monitor the performance of these REST APIs. I want the dashboard to have the data something like the attached using the HTTP Method and API URL. How do I set this up? 

This is what I have figured out so far.

1. in the 'custom dimensional analysis' screen, the default is {Request:Name} which doesn't work here. Need to change that instead to {HTTP-Method} {Relative-URL} to get data in the format "GET /api/contact" or "PUT /api/contact". 

2. I need to do some sort of request naming so that "GET /api/contact/123" and "GET /api/contact/456" are clubbed together in this report as simply "GET /api/contact" since I am interested in the performance of the API endpoint in aggregates. How do I do this? 

3. The application has implemented multiple 'services' and each 'service' seems to have a few REST endpoints. I want all REST endpoints across all 'services' in the application in a single screen in the multidimensional analysis. Is there a way to do that? 

Service 'contact' has REST endpoints GET /api/contact and PUT /api/contact

Service 'policy' has REST endpoints GET /api/policy and PUT /api/policy

but I want the multidimensional analysis to be like the attached screenshot. something like this

GET /api/contact 7.6s

PUT /api/contact 5.5s

GET /api/policy 10s

PUT /api/policy 2s

dynatracequestion.png

1 REPLY 1

techean
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Did you tires splitting your services first? Came across this below link yesterday to segregate all request based on context. Once those request are separate you can use multidimension analysis on them using request name

New Dynatrace API enhances automatic service detection | Dynatrace news

New Dynatrace API enhances automatic service detection (Part 2) | Dynatrace news

KG

Featured Posts