cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OneAgent installer for AIX is not working

AK
Advisor

Hello Folks,

We are tried OneAgent installation on AIX but it is unsuccessful and giving below error,

Error: Cannot determine platform or platform not supported: <AIX>

Host is having OS version 6.1 and CPU architecture as POWER7 and as per the documentation, AIX 6.1 is supported however CPU architecture support is for POWER8 64bit, POWER9 64bit.

Even though it seems to unsupported but we have another host with same system configuration but it has OneAgent running successfully. (This was done in past by some other person and we don't have any steps that he/she has taken to do the installation successfully)

Has anybody encountered in the same situation earlier and did the OneAgent installation successfully on AIX 6.1 POWER7 CPU?

Regards,

AK

12 REPLIES 12

AK
Advisor

Hi Team,

I would really appreciate your help on this.

Regards,

AK

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello @AK 
Yes. The POWER7 CPU architecture is not supported, therefore, you are facing this issue.

When was the other server was instrumented?

What is the OneAgent version on that server?

Are both servers have 6.1 TL9 SP9?

There is no code module auto-injection for AIX 6.1. Installation on AIX WPARs is not supported.

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar,

I don't have that detail when it was instrumented but OneAgent version on this host is 1.179 and yes, both the servers have 6.1 TL9 SP9.

AK_0-1618486412011.png

We are having AppMon agent installed on these Hosts hence there is a need to update it to OneAgent.

Regards,

AK

Hello @AK 

Did you try to install the same version (1.179) on the second host?

Regards,

Babar

This will likely not work if this is a new installation. Very Old agents (not sure how old, but definitely more than 1y old) are not allowed to connect to Dynatrace cluster in new versions. At least this is my experience. 

Anyway - I don't remember OneAgent supporting POWER7 - but I'd give it a shot. I'm sure @bartosz_gatz knows the answer if this was supported or not.

@bartosz_gatz 

Do you have any information on this?

Yes Babar, I tried that too but that resulted into same error,

Error: Cannot determine platform or platform not supported: <AIX>

Arnaud_GERMAIN
Contributor

Hello,

we suspect a bug from the Dynatrace-OneAgent-AIX-1.213.183.sh script.

This is the function where the message appears and the installation is aborted (by return 1):

checkSystemCompatibility() {
local expectedPlatform="LINUX"
if [ "${ARCH_ARCH}" = "AIX" ]; then
expectedPlatform="AIX"
fi

local platform="$(uname | sed -e 's/_.//' | sed -e 's/\///' | tr '[:lower:]' '[:upper:]')*"
if [ "${platform}" != "${expectedPlatform}" ]; then
printf "Cannot determine platform or platform not supported: <%s>" "${platform}"
return 1
fi

local detectedArchitecture
if ! detectedArchitecture="$(arch_checkArchitectureCompatibility)"; then
printf "Cannot determine architecture or architecture not supported: <%s>" "${detectedArchitecture}"
return 1
fi

printf 'Detected platform: %s' "${platform}"
if [ "${detectedArchitecture}" ]; then
printf ' arch: %s' "${detectedArchitecture}"
fi

return 0
}

At line 1044 of the script you can read :

readonly ARCH_ARCH="X86"

This means the ARCH_ARCH is a constant that can't be modified so it will always be "X86".

Since the script is made for an AIX platform, it does not make any sens.

We opened a support case for that.

Forget my comment...

I used a wrong url to get the binary oneagent.

wrong command:

wget -O Dynatrace-OneAgent-AIX-1.213.183.sh "https://xxxxx.xxx.com/e/d4a6dcc3-e7ec-433e-95ae-61a194fd8184/api/v1/deployment/installer/agent/unix/default/latest?arch=x86&flavor=default" --header="Authorization: Api-Token xxxxx"

right command:

wget -O Dynatrace-OneAgent-AIX-1.213.183.sh "https://xxxxx.xxx.com/e/d4a6dcc3-e7ec-433e-95ae-61a194fd8184/api/v1/deployment/installer/agent/aix/default/latest?arch=ppc&flavor=default" --header="Authorization: Api-Token xxxxx"

y_buccellato
Helper

Hi @AK,

I did an Installation on those kind of system when I was at 1.175 and even if it was on POWER7 it worked.

So, mon ami, my suggestion is the following:

first of all try to uninstall every little piece of old agent that you have, following the doc.
then download the oldest version of oneagent that you have at your disposal:

-in order to do so, go in your environment, and go to the Environment Api v1; call those sweet apis.
The number 1 to list the oldest version for your env, the number 2 to get the oldest version:

y_buccellato_1-1620333060016.png

Now go and try to install it, and then try to upgrade it.

Good luck

Hi @y_buccellato,

I can see following versions for AIX. The lower is "1.173.314.20190809-152259"

This seems to be very outdated version. Will it communicate to dynatrace SaaS "1.216.107.20210505-135918" without any issue?

AK_0-1620397087557.png

Regards,

Akshay

Most likely not - if this is a new installation. With recent Dynatrace versions new installed agents of an old version will be refused from connecting to the cluster. But I'd give it a try anyway.