Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process group naming challenge

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Dear All,

I am facing a challenge to create a naming rule for the "IBM WebSphere Application Server". By default, the processes detecting "WebSphere AS CellXXXXX ClusterXXXXX (NodeXXXXX)".

I want to name them as "WebSphere server only". The WebSphere CellXXXXX ClusterXXXXX (NodeXXXXX) are common for all "WebSphere servers".

Regards,

Babar

24 REPLIES 24

Radu
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi Babar,

So if I understand this correctly, currently all WebSphere Process Groups and Processes are named like:
WebSphere AS CellXXXX ClusterXXXXXX (Node XXXX)

And this is too granular. You want them to have the simple name of:
WebSphere Server

Is this correct?

In that case you will have to create a Process Group Naming rule as follows:

This will have the following effect:

• You will have the same number of Process Groups, and the same number of Processes within these groups (process detection not affected)
  • Every Process Group and Process will be named "Websphere Servers"
    • Only where tecnology is detected as IBM WebSphere Application Server and there is a value for the property WebSphere server

If I misunderstood the requirements, please let me know.

Best regards,

Radu

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Hey @Babar Q. this can be done quite easily. Go int your settings and select Processes and Containers > Process Group Naming and create a new rule.

If you put in: Websphere on {Host:DetectedName} then on each one the associated host name will appear in the name of the process! let me know if you need a hand!

-Chad

Hello @Chad T. and @Radu S.

I have done this several times before asking the question in the community. The challenge is when you apply this rule, it will change the process name with all the processes names e.g. the new name will be PRO01, PRO02, PRO03, PRO04 instead of the individual process name. I guess it is because of the common CellXXXX ClusterXXXXXX (Node XXXX).

I will quote here @Ruben G. case, which seems similar to my case.

Regards,

Babar

Radu
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

@Babar Q. - I think what you need to do here is change the detection rules for these WebSphere Processes. Because of how entities work in Dynatrace, Process names are inherited from Process Group names. And because your Process Group is covering hosts PRO01, PRO02, PRO03, PRO04 - then when you say the name should be "WebSphere {hostname}" then all hosts within that process group are taken into the renaming.

With Process Group Detection rules you can actually tell Dynatrace how to create these process groups and have a more segmented grouping that limits the group to 1 per host. What you need to understand here though, you need to use a Process property that is unique across these servers.

Let's take an example:

The above process group detection rule will work on WebSphere processes, and every Process Group will be detected and named strictly by the WebSphere Server ID. So your Process Groups and Processes will become "WebSphere server01", "WebSphere server02", etc.

You will still have to create a process group naming rule as indicated by Chad if you want to pull in the hostname to have the naming like "WebSphere on PRO01".

However, if "WebSphere server01" is actually configured on more than one host (let's say we detect it on both hosts PRO01 and PRO02). Then the renaming will still have the effect of "WebSphere on PRO01, PRO02" because the process group has more than 1 member.

So when you create your process detection rule, you must make sure that whatever process property you are adding as the group identifier is unique across your hosts, otherwise you will always be in the same issue with the renaming.

Does this make sense?

@Ruben G. FYI I think you are having the same problem.

Hello @Radu S.

Do we need a restart after the process group detection rules creation to take effect?

I applied the below rule.

Regards,

Babar

I dont believe so. Laos if you have the hosts in separate host grouping then it will put each process into its own grouping even if that app runs on the hosts across multiple host groups

-Chad

Hello @Chad T.

Apologies, I could not understand. First of all, there is no host group, and secondly, each host has 2 WebSphere server processes.

Now the question is whether the above rule will apply to fix the subject issue with or without restarting the processes names or not?

Regards,

Babar

If memory Serves me correctly, the process will need to be restarted if your doing the rename via the custom detection

-Chad

Hello @Chad T.

OK. Let me check with the application team if they can restart the process to provide you the feedback.

Did you personally experience what we are trying to achieve here?

Regards,

Babar

we did our renames via the first method that we shared with you. we did however create a custom process group and process as it was not detected out of the box. This required that process restart. The first method does not require a restart - i can take 5 - 15 mins depending on the size of your monitored infrastructure

-Chad

Hello @Chad T.

Yes. The first option does not require a restart as I tested several times. So, it means the process group detection rules need a restart. Did you get a chance/challenge to work on the process group detection rules?

Regards,

Babar

We did it once a few months ago - Had to reach out to support for this as we had some hiccups. The documentation seemed a bit unclear as to how to add the new process and group. I would recommend opening a support chat or a support ticket.

The process group monitoring detection rules configured in the previous way only works on processes that can be deeply monitored. The processes that are not considered to be deeply monitored as they dont fall under that category.

The workaround for this would be to user the custom process group detection.

This is found under Settings>Process and Containers>Process Group Detection>Custom Process group detection Rules.

We had to do both, the one as described in your most recent image share and the one I just posted.

-Chad

Radu
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

And also just to iron out some confusion here....

Custom detection rules

Are only required when Dyantrace does not detect your process at all. So basically you point it to the exact path where the .exe is located and you tell it "hey, this is a process. When you see it running, monitor it".

Since @Babar Q. is already seeing Processes for WebSphere, there is no need to create any rule under this section.

You only need to work with Process Detection Rules (which assume that you already have visibility of your processes, but you just want to change how they're grouped):

@Chad T. you are correct, this option does only work with "deeply monitored processes". WebSphere is a deeply monitored process, it is based on the Java technology and it is a known framework around it so we monitor it via deep injection. This option will work with WebSpehere.

Radu
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi all,

Please know that Process Group Detection Rules will require a restart. It is at process startup time that we detect all the properties and apply the new rules, so that's why it is a requirement. Sorry, I should have specified this.

Dear @Radu S.

Thank you for the clarification. I will share the feedback. once done with the complete exercise.

Regards,

Babar

rgarzon
Participant

i face this with a rule on Process group detection rules, for the instances that contains certain text on the node group itself and make them a cluster they take the websphere server name as process name and apply for all the instances across the servers.

naming the process should look nice but was not the real solution for me ("for the services") some time ago.

you can exclude the naming rule via the conditions if it is applying to aspects you dont intend it to.

-Chad

not, i mean, that the way that the service is created isnot like a cluster if i changed the naming of the proccess, they still will be created as unique service. for me the naming rule for the process didt work sometime ago.

If your looking to change the service name that can be done just like the process name via the settings but under Services

-Chad

if is done on that way and you have 4 instances of a was, you will get
service1

service1

service1

service1

4 services with the same name in instances named the same. as i say. sometime ago (8month) process naming didt work fine for me. because i want all services in cluster as the instances.

So why not just do this:

Websphere - Host Name - Service Detected Name

that way you can see exactly what the technology is, the host and the name. Keep in mind you can change this up and add other data in the name as needed.

Here is a great example of this:

https://www.dynatrace.com/news/blog/more-effective-ai-to-human-interactions-with-dynatrace-davis-at-...

-Chad

Hello @Ruben G.

Did you figure out this issue?

Regards,

Babar

Samad_HAJJAJI
Observer

Hello @Babar_Qayyum

Did you find a solution to your challenge ?

regads, 

Featured Posts