Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Response time analysis on Apache mod_proxy

keshav_dixit
Guide

keshav_dixit_0-1650357411371.png

keshav_dixit_1-1650357428867.png

keshav_dixit_2-1650357460369.png

Hi, We have recently installed Dynatrace on one of my Apache node. We’re seeing decrease in Apdex score(bad user experience) and we are trying to find the root cause and tune our application to improve response time.

While analyzing when I select a sample purepath, I see something like screenshot attached. In the section top findings it says that 8.02 seconds was consumed on Apache mod_proxy.

When i click on apache Module it says 99.2% contribution from mod_proxy and nothing is available after that.

Also in the purepath view, I see high self-time on mod_proxy and in timing section, next hops after apache show that they consumed only ~360 ms. Majority of the time was spent(~8 seconds) was spent on mod_proxy.

What does this mean? Does it indicates there is something wrong with my mod_proxy of Apache? If yes what is it? How do i find out? Or is there a way to get further breadown of 8.02 seconds consumed on Apache mod_proxy?

Please guide me to dig a bit deeper to find out the cause. Appreciate any help

6 REPLIES 6

techean
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi,

As per the data provided, it is the mod proxy module that needs tuning at application configuration/or code level. Mod proxy uses AJP for reverse and forward proxy. You can try enabling debug logging at the Apache service level with application or Apache service configuration if accessible and capture custom logs in Dynatrace.

KG

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Hi @keshav_dixit ,

the issue you are facing may have various root causes depending on your setup. DNS, firewall, OS issues, inappropriate apache mod_proxy configuration etc. First definitely check the apache error log. 
Does it happen for all requests or for some specific ones? Does it happen in every request?

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

keshav_dixit
Guide

Thank you KG and Julius!

We're looking at mod_proxy config and error logs. It is happening for most of the requests, see below service flow for yesterday(big difference in response time contribution)

keshav_dixit_0-1650471496962.png

Try to execute the same request from the apache host with curl/wget to get the idea. Check also if DNS is working properly - you can see it in Dynatrace on the host level. Maybe also try to add the host entries in /etc/hosts.

Should we be concentrating 1st apache server or 2nd apache server? The reason I ask this is because 2nd apache servers was new introduction("apche + JBoss" replaced WAS), but I see that self time 1st apache server is high, which has been around for a year+.
Thanks,

Keshav

On the PP above you can notice the light blue color on the second apache which indicates client-side response time. This means the first apache issued the request, however, the processing started after a few seconds. This could be also queuing on the 2nd apache.

Service flow shows response time from the caller side, so it shows 100%. If other distributed traces have similar timings, then the issue is between apache servers or some setting on the second apache (queuing?).

Featured Posts