Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

Transaction storage on Dynatrace Managed

jcamps
Advisor

Hi masters,

I've some doubts in reference to Transaction storage on Dynatrace Managed:

1.- Exactly what information are stored in each one of these sections:

• Metrics storage: I understand that it is the Cassandra that according to the documentation is unlimited, this cannot be configured in each environment, right?
  • Elasticsearch storage: What is stored here? What options does this value refer to and how can they be limited by environment?
  • Transaction storage: Does it contain the combination of service request level retention and service code level retention? Amy more data, RUM? If this is true:
    • How do you distribute it?
    • What happens if you run out of space?
  • Other files: What does it contain?
  • Reserved disk space: What does it contain?

2.- At the configuration level of each environment, where each of the configurable data goes:

3.- What happens if the transaction storage limit is reached? What data deletes first?

Thanks in advance!

Josep Maria

6 REPLIES 6

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

This link should provide answers to the questions you are asking: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/setup-and-configuration/dynatrace-managed/installation/dynatr... Dynatrace will always phase out the oldest and replace it whenever a defined limit is reached (rolling). The transaction Storage is actually set to unlimited in you screen shot so you should be good.

-Chad

Hi @Chad T.

thanks for you response, another question around this:

how Dynatrace determines the size assigned for the Cassandra, ELK and Transaction Storage (if we don't have the filesystems separated as recommended).

My concern is if we have a filesystem for everything (Cassandra, ELK and Transaction Storage) and it is too small to store all the data based on the configured retention, which of them are deleted and with what criteria?

Thank you!

Transaction storage is truncated as it is least important (you will loose old purepaths).
If Cassandra or Elastic does not have enough place, your cluster node will become unhealthy and stop working.

I believe you will be contacted before this happens by DynatraceOne.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend
  • Metrics storage: I understand that it is the Cassandra that according to the documentation is unlimited, this cannot be configured in each environment, right?

Correct.

• Elasticsearch storage: What is stored here? What options does this value refer to and how can they be limited by environment?

Users session for example. Some settings can be set for the environment (real user monitoring retention)

• Transaction storage: Does it contain the combination of service request level retention and service code level retention? Amy more data, RUM? If this is true:
    • How do you distribute it?
    • What happens if you run out of space?

As @Chad T. already mentioned, it is phased out. Oldest data is truncated if there is lack of space.

• Other files: What does it contain?

As it says - other files. Typically installation images for agents.

• Reserved disk space: What does it contain?

As it says - reserved space. It's reserved for Cassandra data compaction, AFAIK this has to be at least the amount of Metrics storage.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Hi @Julius L.

some questions around this and the @Chad T. response:

1.- The Transaction Storage is composed by the combination of service request level retention and service code level retention? The limit configured in each environment applies only to Transaction Storage?

2.- what about the cassandra, it's global and can' t be configures per environement?

Regards!

pawandeep_sing1
Participant

Hi there

I am also interested on the query from @jcamps

Featured Posts