cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebSphere Application Server process detection

reagangovender
Newcomer

Hi

We are running dyntrace managed on version 1.168.71.20190508-163255.

We have IBM WebSphere application servers (v8.5) that need to be monitored individually eg. JVM metrics per process.

The issue we have is that the default process detection rule is grouping all the JVM process under the detected cluster that is configured within WAS. Is there a way to keep the grouping as the cluster but not have each JVM under the cluster lumped into one grouping.

From this screenshot you can see that there are multiple "WebSphere server" (cluster members) grouped under the Cluster process group. Which I dont think is incorrect. But I need to be able to monitor metrics of each individual "WebSphere server". As you can see from this screenshot dynatrace is grouping the metric together.

5 REPLIES 5

skrystosik
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

You can split process groups into more using enviornment variables or process properties:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/how-to-use-dynatrace/process-groups/configuration/adapt-the-c...

If you will have any questions feel free to ask 🙂 After setting up configuration in Dynatrace you will have to restart WAS.

Sebastian

Regards, Sebastian

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Those Teller2 and Teller4 are running on the same host, right? You can always setup process group detection rules that will enable you to split these processes into different process groups. However, I don't think that is the correct way to do this. If you have the same applications deployed in both Teller2 and Teller4, splitting the process group into more processes will result in different services, which is something you don't want.

I think all you want is to identify the NODE within the process group. The easiest method is to set the DT_NODE_ID for each Websphere server to its name.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Hi There,

I'm the one tasked with doing the above, I do however have no idea how to,

Could you perhaps assist with a "How to"

I'd try to define the DT_NODE_ID variable in Application servers > <your_server> > Process definition > Environment Entries. This should be the correct place to define it I think.

And fully restart the server after it has been defined.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

fstekelenburg
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

see also Solved: Process group detection rules, extracting the identifier - Dynatrace Community

Kind regards, Frans Stekelenburg                 Certified Dynatrace Associate | measure.works, Dynatrace Partner

Featured Posts