cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the policy for automatic instrumentation?

Julius_Loman
Leader

We have a Windows 2012 server with an application consisting of many .NET processes (>30). After agent installation, all of the .NET processes are not instrumented (e.g. monitoring is disabled by default on the process group level). I have to enable monitoring of each process group individually.

What are the reasons for it? No known NET framework used in the processes? Not listening on TCP port?

4 REPLIES 4

hmor3
Inactive

Hi Julius , how are you manually enabling the monitoring ?

By .NET processes restart ?

No I'm very well aware the process must be restarted to be deeply instrumented.

I have to to process group setting and manually change the setting, see here:

After turning the monitoring on for the individual process group and host I have to restart the process to get the deep instrumentation working (that's ok).

Is this something Windows specific / Application specific / NET specific? I thought that all processes of known technologies for deep instrumentation will be automatically monitored on Linux or Windows hosts.

Hello @Julius L. , i have noticed the exact similar behaviour as mentioned by you in snapshot.

have you received an answer on this or not? P

Well, not yet. I've noticed this behaviour with just one application (don't have access to other instances of this app). I believe this app is probably not directly instrumentable (obfuscated or packaged), so Dynatrace turns off the monitoring for this process.