cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the difference between Cluster Activegate and Environment Activegate?

dgarcia2
Inactive

What's the difference between Cluster Active Gate and Environment Active gate and how does each one work in Dynatrace managed?

8 REPLIES 8

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

An environment ActiveGate is connected to one environment/tenant within your Managed cluster and handles traffic only from OneAgents in that environment. On the other hand a Cluster ActiveGate can handle agent traffic from all of the environments/tenants within your cluster.

You download a Cluster AG from the CMC admin page, and you download an Environment AG from with the environment.

James

Hi @James K. I have a little doubt here, why if an Environment ActiveGate is connected only to one environment I can do this:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/sgw-multiple-environments

So again what is the difference? a bit confused here.

Thanks

The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.

In the most typical deployment pattern and by default environment activegates handle one environment, but yes you can configure them to handle certain additional specific environments on the same cluster. A cluster activegate works this way by default.

And there's no way to have a cluster activegate for yourself in SaaS.

skrystosik
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Both of them have also different functions. For example if you have managed installation and you want to monitor mobile application you have use cluster activegate and make it public. Environment ActiveGate is useful for example if you have agents from single environment inside dmz. Than you can proxy traffic from OneAgents through ActiveGate. This makes network rules easier 🙂 Read more in Dynatrace Documentation.

Sebastian

Regards, Sebastian

william_j_kim1
Newcomer

Where in the dynatrace website documentation page(s) can I get a clear difference btw env and cluster active gates? Unfortunately I only see information for "active gate" with use cases here https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/setup-and-configuration/dynatrace-activegate/basic-concepts/w... but I need a clear distinction between both and clear scenarios

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

I always consider the Cluster Active Gate (only available with Managed) to be designed primarily for deployment in the DMZ with an External IP address exposed to the internet for incoming traffic such as Mobile monitoring beacons, External Synthetic monitoring beacons, Agentless RUM monitoring beacons. The Environment Active Gate is better suited to internal network deployment when needed for things like running Internal Browser Monitors/HTTP Monitors, VMWare monitoring, etc.

fstekelenburg
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

The training material in the University has useful material on various subjects, like this one.
See What Type of ActiveGate Do I Need? | On Demand | Dynatrace University

Also see Dynatrace ActiveGate | Dynatrace Help

As I understand, Environment AG's for one act like a proxy-like gateway, for OneAgents, so the individual OA's do not need to connect to the SaaS, or the Managed Cluster. It receives the data, and forwards in compressed chunks. No need to drill more holes in the firewall, and more efficient network usage. They are also used for cloud and remote technologies monitoring, and to run synthetic monitors from a private location.

Purposes:

A Cluster AGs, only visible in a Managed environment, is a part of the Managed Cluster. It's build in, so in the base you don't need a separate one. But since you may not want or can not expose your Managed Cluster to the outside world, you can place a Cluster AG as gate-keeper in DMZ. I think having Cluster AGs also takes some workload off the actual cluster nodes.

See Managed deployments | Dynatrace Help

Kind regards, Frans Stekelenburg                 Certified Dynatrace Associate | measure.works, Dynatrace Partner

deyisanupam
Visitor

What if, in the Dynatrace SaaS, the VM where environment activegate is installed goes down?

How DT server will receive data from the oneagents as the activegate VM is down and https 443 is restricted in oneagents host machines. 

Featured Posts