cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Service won't start after OneAgent instrumentation

carlos
Inactive

When trying to instrument OneAgent under Windows, on a particular application called ArCGIS, used for oil and mining data analysis, the Windows Service which handles app start and stop does not start at all.

If we instrument manually, on the .bat files which run the JVM and Tomcat, through command line it works perfectly.

But customer would like to continue using one single Service to manage the application. I thought it was a matter of the service timing out waiting for our instrumentation + application start up, could it be? Any thoughts on this? There are no warnings or issues neither at the app log, nor the oneagent log.

7 REPLIES 7

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

I'd probably open a support case for something like this.

James

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

I've encountered similar issue a while ago and this was caused by some specific JVM parameters for Tomcat hidden somewhere in the Windows registry for the startup service. After removing the (unimportant!) parameter the service started normally.

Unfortunately, I don't remember more details.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Thanks Julius, I'll check on the registry then...

Anyway, there was a message in application logs, oneagent logs or windows event log pointing instrumentation failure. Be sure to check all possible places for startup errors.

jonathan_kenned
Inactive

We had this issue. It was caused by the oneagent not being able to talk back to the security gateway. For us it was firewall block.

carlos
Inactive

@Julius L.

There was not relevant information in the different logs, but I ddi find a bunch of arguments and parameters within the service...I guess some of them are really not needed...is this similar to your finding Julius?

Unfortunately no, the situation I've encountered was some other instrumentation parameters conflicting with Dynatrace.

Since you are referring to windows service only, did you try to reboot the server?

Since the service is not starting, there should definitely be a log entry somewhere (probably in Windows Event Log).

Featured Posts