cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

for the expert, DT_CLUSTER_ID vs HOSTGROUPS

henk_stobbe
Mentor

Hello,

Can the env DT_CLUSTER_ID combine trwo processes in one. PG if they are in different HOSTGROUPS?

or

Can I split up a PG running on one host by giving the processes different DT_CLUSTER_ID’s?

and

is DT_NODE_ID not obsolete and can be replaced by any other metadata or is it here a extra function I am overlooking?

KR Henk

1 REPLY 1

Julius_Loman
Leader

Hello Henk,

Can the env DT_CLUSTER_ID combine trwo processes in one. PG if they are in different HOSTGROUPS?

No. Host group works as a "splitter" with higher priority.

Can I split up a PG running on one host by giving the processes different DT_CLUSTER_ID’s?

Yes, you can. This is exactly what DT_CLUSTER_ID and DT_NODE_ID are for (besides process group detection rules). Depending on what you need to split. DT_CLUSTER_ID allows you to set the process group name and DT_NODE_ID is the node identifier within a process group. This is typically useful if you have more instances of a process on the same host

is DT_NODE_ID not obsolete and can be replaced by any other metadata or is it here a extra function I am overlooking?

It's not obsolete. It allows you to "split" process group instances within a process group on a single host and also identify them by a common name. For you have a process group APPX and 4 instances. Two are running on server1 two on server2. Without DT_NODE_ID you would see one process group and a single process group instance on each server as they would have been glued together. With DT_NODE_ID you can have on server1:

• APPX (instance1)
  • APPX (instance2)

and on server2:

• APPX (instance3)
  • APPX (instance4)

Depending on your case, you can also use process group detection rules to accomplish this.

Cheers
Julius

TEMPEST a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner