Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

philosophical metric question (-;

henk_stobbe
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Good morning community,

In all cases when there is no metric value, Dynatrace basically leaves the "time-slot" also empty (sorry can not find a better way of putting it).

I think if there was an option to fill in the number 0 ( instead of not available), would this be more practical is some cases? 

In other words sometimes when you hear nothing it is "unavailable", and sometimes t should be "0", And in dynarace it is always unavailable?

So when you have 1 measure in a time slot, Dynatrace  will tell you average = measure, but sometimes you would like average = measure / timeslot? 

Please comment,

KR Henk

10 REPLIES 10

abbachr
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

henk_stobbe
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hello Abbachr,

This transformation is possible when extracting metrics from Dynatrace, I was looking for this more within Dt. When creating a custom metric for example, but maybe I am missing something. Or better wait for Grail (-;

Still great answer, thanks for that.

KR Henk

abbachr
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

As for custom metrics, it's always on the producer to make sure the correct values are ingested.

We have many types of custom metrics in Dynatrace. If you mean custom metrics that are ingested via the API, this is the users responsibility.

As for custom metrics derived from other components (a.k.a. "calc" service, log,..etc. metrics), this could be done but only within a limited scope. The problem is that metrics usually have a dimensional splitting. Storing 0 instead of nothing for something that is missing would mean that one would need to infer the dimensional splitting. Problem here is that there are infinitely many splittings that do not contain data compared to a finite amount of splittings that do contain data. So that would probably boil down to manually defining for which splittings a 0 should be written. This cannot always be foreseen. Also, the processing becomes more costly because some state needs to be held. And last but not least: you will not be charged DDUs for a missing datapoint, but writing a 0 will cost as much as writing any other value.

The question is still not so much about the storage backend (Dynatrace vs. Grail), but the data producer. As for the custom metrics produced by Dynatrace itself, I believe that it is unlikely that something like this will ever be implemented, because of reasons stated above. The default()-operator provides a great workaround.

All in all, the approach that Dynatrace follows here is sensible and correct. There is a difference between having no data or data with the value of 0 (see also here: https://images.app.goo.gl/PKUHd1ZqkseNxmtW8).

henk_stobbe
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hello abbachr,

Again thanks for you reply, my mistake but I meant calculated metric not custom metric. So combining all, would it be nice to be able to define a calculated metric (with a dimension like filter and use the logic from the API to turn nothing into zero's.

But I get you reasoning, about the efficiency if you mean a counter metric.

So what I am asking (I think) is, can I turn a count into a gauge with a calculated metric, the same way as the  API does,

KR Henk

@henk_stobbe wrote:

So what I am asking (I think) is, can I turn a count into a gauge with a calculated metric, the same way as the  API does,

I'm afraid, but I don't understand the question or how this relates to splittings.

henk_stobbe
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Good morning,

Thanks for you last remark, it triggered me (-;

I was looking for:

builtin:apps.other.keyUserActions.reportedErrorCount.os:default(0)

Sometimes the question is more difficult than the answer (-;

Have a nice day,

KR Henk

henridb
Guide

Hello all,

what might be a good one in case of a calculated metric with a count or sum in mind:

being able to interpret "no-data" as zero occurrences instead of missing data.

Regards,

Henri

abbachr
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

I hate to repeat myself, but: This option is already available, it's the default operator: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/dynatrace-api/environment-api/metric-v2/metric-selector#defau...

Hello abbachr,

Sorry for not being clear....but it is about the custom even for alerting.

There, "no-data" is "no-data"

For count or sum if there is no occurrence you could want a zero instead of no data

abbachr
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

There you can also use the metric selector with the default operator.

Featured Posts