cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA API Gateway - Agent Installation steps

thiago_borges
Newcomer

Hello Folks !

I try found some informations about install Dynatrace on CA API Gateway (Formely Layer 7 Gateway) but I do not found on any place a step by step. Because of that I will provide the steps I did to configure Dynatrace agent on gateway.

Copy your agent installation file to the gateway

Acess you CA Api Gateway shell

Install Dynatrace agent on opt/dynatracexxx/ (xxx is your dynatrace agent version)

change the owner of your folder to gateway user

chown -R gateway:gateway opt/dynatracexxx/

Go to /opt/SecureSpan/Gateway/runtime/etc/profile.d/

and edit ssgruntimedefs.sh

Add the line of Dynatrace as the sample bellow (Need's to be the first line)

# LAYER 7 TECHNOLOGIES
# Defines JAVA_HOME, etc

default_java_opts="-server "

if [ ! -f "/etc/sysconfig/network" -o "$(grep "^NETWORKING_IPV6=yes" /etc/sysconfig/network 2>/dev/null)" ]
then
default_java_opts="$default_java_opts -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=false "
else
default_java_opts="$default_java_opts -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true "
fi
default_java_opts="$default_java_opts -agentpath:/opt/dynatrace/agent/lib64/libdtagent.so=name=CAP_DES,server=yourDynatraceColectorServer :YourDynatraceColectorPort"
default_java_opts="$default_java_opts -Djava.security.policy=${SSG_HOME}/runtime/etc/ssg.policy"
default_java_opts="$default_java_opts -Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/./urandom"
default_java_opts="$default_java_opts -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=30 "
default_java_opts="$default_java_opts -Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:CompileThreshold=1500 "
default_java_opts="$default_java_opts -Dcom.l7tech.server.defaultClusterHostname=$(hostname)"
default_java_opts="$default_java_opts -Djava.util.Arrays.useLegacyMergeSort=true"

SSG_JAVA_OPTS="$SSG_JAVA_OPTS $default_java_opts";

unset default_java_opts

export SSG_JAVA_OPTS

if ! echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH | /bin/egrep -s "(^|:)$SSG_HOME/runtime/lib($|:)" >/dev/null ; then
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$SSG_HOME/runtime/lib
fi

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Save the file

Back to Gateway menu and select option 2 and 7 press Enter after show the status like this sample bellow

----------------------------------------------------------------------
CA API Gateway Status
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration:
Node Status = RUNNING
Node Status Timestamp = 2018-01-11 10:46:09
Node Status Since = 2018-01-10 20:33:13

Press [Enter] to continue.

and then select option 2 to restart the Gateway Service

CA API Gateway status options:

1) Stop the CA API Gateway
2) Restart the CA API Gateway
X) Exit menu

Please make a selection:

I hope this steps help

Best Regards

8 REPLIES 8

kenneth_silber
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

@Thiago Borges A. This is great. Were you able to see everything within the Gateway?

Kenneth,

Sorry for my delay (Busy days on work)

I can see the entire transaction of my applications and all calls on the gateway

But I have bad news !!!!!

I have one case opened on CA about Garbage Collection.

We think the problem is Dynatrace agent causing GC on Java process of the gateway but we do not have sure yet.

I let you know the results since I finish the case with CA

Regards

kim_ee_ng
Inactive

Can we see API calls?

We are working on a healthcare opportunity with Accenture. The API gateway is integral to the delivery value chain. Missing it is a huge blind spot to connect the dots between web and app host servers.

Hope to have some guidance from the field of experts. Really appreciate it 🙂

Kim,

You can see the entire transaction (Including API Calls) but take a look on my answer to Kenneth before plan install Dynatrace on the gateway.

Since I finish the case and figure out what's happen I let you know the results

By now I do not recommend install Dynatrace on API Gateway because you can avoid GC problems

Regards

philip_rousseau
Newcomer

Hi Thiago, were you able to solve the GC issue on the CA API gateway?

Regards,

Philip

thiago_borges
Newcomer

Philip Hello,

I'm waiting the CR10 fix for API gateway.

I work with CA to figure out the problem and now I'm just waiting for the fix.

You can as workaround reboot your gateway every 2 days to use Dynatrace.

Check also your estrategy of audit on CA API Gateway to see if you send only audit information's.

Regards

TNagle
Newcomer

Were you able to resolve the GC issue? How is it performing now? We're looking to install on our Broadcom (CA) Layer 7 API Gateway appliance.

Just to add elements to the discussion:

from a technical point of view:

if you are on Dynatrace (and not appmon) I did the installation of Oneagent on the Ca Broadcom Api Gateway applaiances and there is no issue with GC; the Layer7 Api Gateway is seen as many other services (meaning that every single api call can be seen as every other web request on other services)

from a "Am I allowed?" point of view:

in 2019 I consulted different sources Broadcom, Dynatrace and the team responsabli for the Ca Api Gat.
The vendor of course will say that they don't test the Dynatrace solution on their product but they'll tell you that you can do it as stated in their doc.(https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article?articleId=16296)

Featured Posts