cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extension 2.0 - where does the logic go?

ct_27
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Could someone please help explain where the code goes for Extension 2.0? 

I've played with OneAgent and ActiveGate extensions by writing my own Python code that runs every 1 minute.  I understand a fair amount about Extensions 2.0 YAML, JSON, and ZIP thanks to this great blog post (https://www.dynatrace.com/news/blog/extend-dynatrace-automation-and-ai-capabilities-more-easily-than...)  and help site (https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/extend-dynatrace/extensions20/ ).

But, I can't seem to figure out where I place the logic that knows what to do with the YAML and JSON configuration data to obtain metrics or perform some logic on data to produce a metric. Is maybe Extensions 2.0 not a replacement for what we can currently do with ActiveGate and OneAgent extensions?

HigherEd
27 REPLIES 27

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi,

Coded extensions and local extensions in the 2.0 framework is planned for the future. For now it's only possible to gather data using the declarative YAML format, for example for SNMP polling.

Mike

Mike

Mike,

Thank you for the reply.   Looking forward to the coded extensions.  We're playing with the SNMP extension right now and it's really cool.  The best part is whoever developed it I feel was really thinking about all the different scenarios a client might have and thus made the SNMP extension quite flexible.  I can't image the complexity of code behind it.

HigherEd

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, quick question.

How did you get the new SNMP Extension? 

NVM i just found the docs.

Cheers

Hi @Mike_L  hope you are good.

Do you know if there is a rough eta for coded plugins?

Hi,

The current plan is next year.

Mike

Mike

@Mike_L Any update on this?  It's been over a year now.

HigherEd

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Have a look at my last post in this thread from October. That is still the latest state.

Mike

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

@Jan_W is responsible for the framework and @dglugla for the SNMP implementation. I'm sure that they're happy to hear about your experience.

Mike

jcurbina
Guide

Hi @Jan_W and  @dglugla,

My experience has been to enable SNMP extension 2.0 and also create an extension for Linux host based on the structure I had of the SNMP yaml, with host related metrics.

Both extensions are up and running, after a rather complicated signing process for custom extension. This is an issue to improve or simplify as it is very cumbersome.

My question is about the promise that extension 2.0 provides "metrics with topology". When I read topology I immediately relate it to entities displayed in the smartscape. But so far I do not see any results in that sense or a Host monitored with SNMP in the smartscape.

In the structure of the extension at the end comes the Topology and Relationships section where I have that the network interfaces are children of the SNMP device (Host). Could you explain to me what would be the scope of these metrics with topology. I imagine a scenario where I monitor a Switch, and establish a relationship between a switch interface and a Host. If that interface throws errors, it could generate a Problem that would impact that Host.

I had the same thought as you when i saw Topology.

I too am ultimately interested in the same.  First just so I can relate switches to routers and such so that the network topology is clear. But yes, the best state would be to link the switch interface to a host. 

Hopefully DT will come back with a response.

HigherEd

From what I have seen in some of the example from Dynatrace, there is both a topology, relationship and other keys in the xmls. 

The thing is that the documentation is extremely lacking at the moment.

It seems it should also be possible to query other wmiNamespaces, but so far I have not been able to do this, and there is no logging which provides any clues.

Vanguard
Contributor

I am also waiting for Extensions 2.0 offering Python support so that our Custom ActiveGate Extenion can be migrated to 2.0 and therefore conveniently managed via the Hub.

Python extensions in EF2.0 is available for Dynatrace employees in 1.254. There is no timeline yet for partners and customers but it is being looked at from all angles, such as security and distribution.

Mike

Hi Michael! Any status update on the progress for Python EF2?

It is scheduled for OA/AG 1.283, cluster 1.284.

Mike

Hi @Mike_L still on schedule for OA/AG 1.283, cluster 1.284?

Yes, unless @michal_nalezin heard that it changed during Christmas. (I was off).

Mike

@michal_nalezin Any updates regarding this?

Sure, we needed to move it by 1 version, so it launches with OA 1.284
We are including a Certificate Revocation List, to ensure that certificates can be easily, although manually, revoked in case of security issue.

Meanwhile, we are did allow some customers to use it already on a preview basis.
Reach me directly if that's your case, but since this is a week of Perform, we may observe some delays.

Best regards
Michal  

GA of custom python extensions has been postponed to OA/AG 1.285, cluster 1.286

Mike

MarwanC
Guide

Hi Everone, great post thanks for everybody contributions. I am a newbies in Extension 2.0. I have a problem to solve by just putting together a simple SQL Extension that basically run an SQL against a database and return a count from a table then raise an alert based on the returned results. Please note there is one good plugin but is gonna be depcrated in Jab 2024 so I will not spend the time on this and decided to dig about to find a solution. The Dynatrace documentation is very vague about this area and I decided to seek your help. I made a good progress in installing Visual Studio Code (great tool) and connected it to my DT instance, I see this PayLoad File (as described by DT) which I believe should go in the config directory of the extension (see below) and I have a basic Yaml and I seek your advice what to write in the Yaml to use SQL Extension. I appreciate your support in this matter. Marwan...

Hi @MarwanC I would recommend looking at the SQL data source - Dynatrace Docs
Possibly also downloading the SQL Server Monitoring | Dynatrace Hub plugin and having a look at how they have doe this.
I have had sucess doing this approach for DB2

Thank you for your swift reply. Do you mean I download the SQL Plugin and modify the PayLoad from the documentation you gave about  DB2 and tweak it? Do you mind sending me your Yaml file that you used for DB2? much appreciated. 

I mean, you download the SQL extension, extract it and look at how this is configured.

Then you clone that, modify the queries, extension name, metric names etc, and create your own SQL Custom query.

Thanks once again. My quest started as a simple one. When I go to https://www.dynatrace.com/hub/detail/microsoft-sql-server-2/?query=Microsoft+SQL&filter=all - this then asks me to choose free trial. then I enter my email and then it logs me direct to our dynatrace instance (since we have SSO) and then I am never able to download the extension.  In the extension 1.0 case I used to be able to download it. Any idea? 

tarjeitie
Participant

Do you not see the download link as per the image here?
You select Release notes, newest version and click download?

tarjeitie_0-1702639172006.png

MarwanC
Guide

Looks good. Thanks

Featured Posts