cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keymetrics with custom ActiveGate extension issue

desjardd
Observer

I have a custom ActiveGate extension that works fine. The "Keycharts" section I set "mergeaggregation" to "sum" because I want to know the total throughput of all 96 ports on the Cisco MDS switch. This works fine and I see 1.1 GB or so. The problem is the "Keymetrics" page shows the average across all 96 ports.

I added a line called "aggregation" "sum" to fix this but it still isnt working and showing the "average" or all the ports but im still only seeing the per port averages. Is there not a way to make the keymetrics dropdown/etc show all the traffic and not an average?

This is in the plugin.json

"keymetrics" : [
{
"key": "cpu_utilization",
"displayname": "CPU utilization"
},
{
"key": "incoming_traffic",
"displayname": "Incoming traffic",
"mergeaggregation": "SUM",
"aggregation": "SUM"
},
{
"key": "outgoing_traffic",
"displayname": "Outgoing traffic",
"mergeaggregation": "SUM",
"aggregation": "SUM"
}

Here is the info on the keymetrics page:

Name
CPU utilization, Incoming traffic, Outgoing traffic

Cisco_MDS - xxxx 
7.67% 11.5 MB
10 MB

Thanks everyone

5 REPLIES 5

david_lopes
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

@desjardd  What do you consider as the key metrics page?

The keymetrics session in the plugin.json is the blue square that you see with metrics on the Custom Device screen.

It is not the table you see on the Group page, are the numbers wrong on that blue square?

Sorry it took so long to respond I never saw this! That is the problem/question the "blue square" is fine but the individual systems listed below that all show an average for the usage and that is not what I want to see. I would prefer to see the total usage vs the average usage per port (The issue is some systems have 500 ports and some have 96. The per port average is way skewed sometimes on the 500 port switch vs the 96 port switch). Is there no way to show that? Thanks!

Not on the charts immediately below the blue squares, but yes you can see individual metrics per port when you click the "Further details" button, that is the "charts" session of plugin.json

Yeah we can get that info on the further details. Was just hoping there was a way to influence how that data was presented. If I said "Sum" vs "Avg" i would have hoped for a sum of all the dimensions not an average of them. Ah well perhaps an RFE is in order. Thanks!

You can get the SUM aggregation for the dimensions by setting the "mergeaggregation" property to "SUM"

Featured Posts