cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMDB Discovery - Dynatrace & ITOM Auto Discovery

TomCEaton
Newcomer

Hi All,

We're currently populating CMDB using Dynatrace but we have a very old plugin (2.2 - very old), we got stuck on this as ServiceNOW upgraded too far and the client didn't keep the Dynatrace Plugin updated and then ServiceNOW had a requirement for ITOM Licenses. 

We now have the ITOM licenses and will upgrade the plugin to the latest, But the client wishes to use ITOM Auto Discovery (agentless discovery) as a primary source and then Dynatrace as a secondary source.

We met with ServiceNOW Consultants and were wondering if any other Dynatrace Customers were using ServiceNOW Auto Discover and Dynatrace. If so, how are you resolving Server Name collisions? 

ServiceNOW Auto Discover uses Host Serial Numbers, but Dynatrace doesn't currently capture this.

5 REPLIES 5

wolfgang_beer
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Hi Tom,

In regards of the ServiceNow integration app, in discussion with ServiceNow product team we decided that the best approach is to hand over the integration to ServiceNow, as they know best how to integrate the incoming Dynatrace information into their CMDB model.

The resulting app is now directly offered and supported by ServiceNow. 

All incoming information runs through Integration Hub and IRE engine in order to give your team the full flexibility of mapping it or rejecting it as duplicates.

Please refer to this dedicated feedback channel to leave your comments and to read about other users experiences:

https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Feedback-channel/ServiceNow-Service-Graph-Connector-for-Observabi...

Best greetings,

Wolfgang 

tarjei
Organizer

Hi!

I still think it would be valuable to fetch the Serial # of the machine. It could be done quite easily with WMI on windows, and I would assume there would be some other way to fetch it on linux (dmidecode for example)

I think you can do that by setting a custom property that the OneAgent forwards. Either as an environment variable or as an Extension 1.0 as it is shown here. 

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/extension-properties

If we want to have that property as a default, I have to ask the agent PM team for help. 

Yes, you can do it using oneagentctl, or you could do it with extensions. However, since deployying extenstions is still quite cumbersome, including this functionality in OneAgent would be awesome! 🙂

tarjei
Organizer

Featured Posts