cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynatrace Managed integration with Event Management tool

pshinde
Inactive

Hi Team ,We are looking for options available in Dynatrace managed to forward the problem alerts to event management tools like (IBM Tivoli Netcool Omnibus or EMC Smarts ). Kindly help us to know if any options available with respect to same or anything in Roadmap.

7 REPLIES 7

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Many if not most tools expose an endpoint that can be used to feed in data like problems and a custom webhook type integration/notification is already available in Dynatrace. You can customize the payload and headers so it is quite flexible:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/problem-det...

James

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

I've done this for IBM Tivoli Netcool OMNIbus , it's straightforward using the custom webhook type as @James K. mentions. FYI the best Netcool probe for this integration is the message bus probe (nco_p_messagebus), which can directly parse JSON messages into tokens. Then it's just a matter of Netcool expertise to think how the event mapping will fit in your Netcool environment.

I don't think Dynatrace has any integration to tools from other vendors on the roadmap. Current customizable webhook is actually the most flexible method.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Hello - not sure if the use-case for your organisation is different, but I am looking at how we get raw events or further details posted to Netcool; The webook will send a 'problem open' to netcool. Dynatrace will not send any further updates unless the 'severity' increases - so if for example a server has low disk ("resource" severity) then also has high cpu (also "resource" severity - those 2 events are part of the same problem but no update is sent to netcool.
A "problem resolved" would be sent when the problem is closed.

I've raised an RFE to allow similar integration offered to ITOM to be considered for any event management tool that an organisation may choose to use:

https://community.dynatrace.com/spaces/483/dynatrace-product-ideas/idea/221818/rfe-allow-events-from...

Well, the AI2.0 is messing up things even more, since you don't have the MERGED type anymore. If a problem is raised and changed afterwards, you don't get ANY new notification with custom webhook. I've already opened an RFE.

The only method which we have been so far successful (albeit not with Netcool/OMNIbus directly) is to periodically check the problem status using API for all opened problems and compare the result for each problem. If the problem has changed, post updates to the event management tool.

However, this does not fit the Netcool/OMNIbus probe architecture, since you would need to write your own probe with probe SDK or preprocess all the stuff with some daemon doing the checking.

Thanks for the reply! the poling of problems is something we are having to explore...

Do you have a ink to your RFE?

Can't find it - probably I haven't opened the RFE.
Here is my post with the explanation from @Wolfgang B.
https://community.dynatrace.com/spaces/482/dynatrace-open-qa/questions/219675/notifications-of-probl...

pshinde
Inactive

Featured Posts