cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[12.4.10] How to create an entry in the side menu under Explore section?

raffaele_talari
Inactive

Hi there,

this question is linked to https://answers.dynatrace.com/questions/162362/124...

How to create an entry in the side menu, creating a link in the Explore section?(how to add Applications and Tiers reports would be a good example).

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ciao,

Raff

8 REPLIES 8

alasdair_patton
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

servletsmenu-420-rtm-common.zipHi Raff

This is possible but it is not a simple answer. It should also be noted that any changes to this would be overwritten with a service pack. It also would be best effort support from the labs if issues arrise as this is not a product feature.

To achieve this you need to edit the following file Program Files\Dynatrace\CAS\config\servletsmenu-420-rtm-common.properties

You will have to add sections in the following format for each repot you want

ex_users.Class=adlex.delta.servlet.common.ls.model.lsentry.ReportLoaderMenuItem
ex_users.Properties={report:'User explorer'}
ex_users.Label=Users
ex_users.LabelId=VAS_MENU_ITEMS,Users

Then in order to display it append the name (in this case ex_users) to the line that begins "explore="

It will require a CAS restart and remember to clear your browser cache or it won't display.

To simplify this i have attached one I created earlier.

Regards

Alasdair

Thanks Al! 🙂

john_leight
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

There is a APMU module about creating custom menus. Maybe that will help as well.

Hey John,

It does not look like this is possible in 12.4.11? Or else I have configured something wrong in my attempts to follow the material. Happy to hear either way, but I have created my own customMenu.xml file, following the example, and have reloaded menu, but it is not showing in the hamburger dropdown (when I started working on this, it was working in 12.4.10, but we have since upgraded to 12.4.11).

Thanks,

Matt

I was able to display custom menu in both 12.4.10 and 12.4.11 starting with available 'customMenu.xml-example' file. Maybe you're missing something in your xml file? There is xsd schema (customMenu.xsd) to help you validate file. Also file name must be exactly "customMenu.xml".

12-4-10-custom.png, 12-4-11-custom.png

I would really like to discourage anyone from modifying property files. They might be overwritten or even significantly changed during upgrade.

For the purpose of creating custom menus we have delivered special xml file, which is not changed during upgrade. See they link referenced above by John.

Here is the link to the documentation: https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DCRUMDOC/Customizing+the+Reports+menu

Thanks, Sebastian! That's really helpful.

Hey Sebastian,

Would it be possible to get this added to the DCRUM documentation, as it is a nice feature to know about!