Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADS Large site - alert reaching 10Million operations per day

rodrigo_alvare1
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hello,

In an architecture with an ADS and CAS, Im getting the alert about 10 million operations per day were reached. Even when the ADS is disabled for a full day, and enabled after the peak of operations. (The alert just appear when the ADS is enable again)

So Im not sure if it is because the CAS (that is working with the ADS disabled for each Software Service) is reaching that 10Million operations and when the ADS is finally enabled, pops up the alert.
Or if there is another reason.

Do you have another suggestion?

Regards,
Rodrigo

8 REPLIES 8

Erik_Soderquist
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Could you clarify "ADS disabled"?

If you mean you turned off/disabled the ADS service, it will simply process the data available on the AMDs when turned back on.

If
you mean you disabled ADS data in all Software Services and published that change
to all AMDs... there should be no ADS data for it to process...

-- Erik

Hello Erik,

Sorry if I wanst clear enough, what I mean is select the option "Disable" instead of "ADS data, hit and header details" in the configuration of URL monitoring.

As I understand, with this option, there will be no information for the ADS for that Software Service (so I assume that the number of operations are not incremented/counted to reach the 10Million showed in the alert)

Regards,
Rodrigo

That tells me you have more than one Software Service generating ADS data; the 10 million alert is the total of all, not any single SS.

Corollary question: is the ADS able to keep up with the data volume, or is it falling behind?

-- Erik

Hello,

All the Software services have the ADS disabled, and even after 12 hours of being dissabled I am still getting the same alert.

The ADS is not able to support that amount of data.

Regards

The count starts at midnight ADS local time each day.

At this point I'd like to examine the environment myself; what timezone are you in?

-- Erik

Hello Erik,

My timezone is UTC+2 central europe (Madrid-Spain).

Let me know if you are available today.

Regards

rodrigo_alvare1
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Problem solved.
The information provided by the client was wrong, they said that the alert of 10M raised just after turn on the ADS for a single software service ( as if the count of operations that the ADS can handle were increased even "not using it").

The real situation is that when the alert is raised, it is never turned off.
For example:
- Monday: Raised alert 10M at 15:00 on Monday. Then disable in the configuration the ADS details for all the Software services.
- Tuesday: The alert is still showing with the same period of time "10M at 15:00 on Monday".

And that alert remains until change configuration next day (on Tuesday) to enabling ADS details for a software service (or until restart the CAS).

So could be consider like a bug this "non turning off 10M alarm". But the ADS is working fine and as expected

One caveat: if the ADS is "working fine", ie: keeping up with the volume, the 10m soft limit can be configured higher to accommodate what the hardware is reasonably keeping up with and avoid the alarm without disabling ADS data. If it isn't keeping up, you could look to refine what is reported to the ADS rather than blanket disabling.

-- Erik