Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD 12.4.6 with RedHat 6.5 / 7.x

sylvian_lam1
Organizer

Hi All,

From this link I found below messages

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

While Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2, 6.4 and 6.5 are supported, they are recommended only as a temporary operating system during an upgrade or migration. Using Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2, 6.4 or 6.5 will not allow the AMD monitoring software release 12.4.x to run at its full capabilities.

What is mean "full capabilities"? Upgrade 6.5 to 6.6 or 7.2 means a fresh installation......

My AMDs here are running 12.3.2 on Redhat 6.5 64-bit and planning upgrade to classic AMD12.4.6 (or .7) on RedHat 6.6 or 7.x. Any suggestions on the AMD vs OS combination?

Thanks and Regards,

Sylvian

6 REPLIES 6

sylvian_lam1
Organizer

Just found a link https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

• RHEL7 pros:

• Modern OS, will not require upgrade for a few years.
    • This is the only RHEL version that allows to run the new generation high speed AMD (available now in 12.4.5).

• RHEL 6 pros:

• Well known OS version, still supported by DC RUM.
    • No immediate need to upgrade to RHEL 7 to install 12.4 release.
    • More custom drivers available (RHEL 7 has only one 10-gig custom driver for Intel cards).

If I have both Intel 1GB card and Intel 10GB card on the same AMD, can both enable using custom dirver on RHEL 7? Or must use RHEL 6.7 or 6.6?

Sylvian

AMD has never supported custom drivers for two different NIC types at a time (even if they are the same brand - it's the driver code base required that matters).

Mixing 1GB and 10 GB NICs will only work with Native drivers, on any version/OS.

Thx Chris, good reminder. I mixed up the information of native vs custom and always hope to see any driver enhancements ^_^

piotr_szwarc
Dynatracer
Dynatracer

RHEL 6.2,
6.4 and 6.5 had kernel bugs that could be causing custom driver crashes. These kernel
bugs were fixed in RHEL 6.6.1 (2.6.32-504.16.2) and in RHEL 6.7 (2.6.32-573.x).
This, plus the requirement of Java 1.8 for DCRUM 12.4.x created recommendation of
RHEL 6.6 and up.

You can run AMD 12.4.7 on RHEL 6, but please update to the
latest RHEL6 service pack (RHEL 6.8) and make sure you meet the Java reqs.

_pete

Thanks Piotr. My major concerns are about stability, AMD compatibility and performance. Not sure which OS - RHEL 6.7 or 7.2 provides better stability and compatibility. Any comments?

I have two AMDs currently and both are located at remote sites/country, custom driver 10G NICs on one AMD and the other is running 1G custom. Understand 7.2 may not require upgrade (at least a few years I think) but would it be the same pace as AMD in future?

All suggestions are welcome.

Thx

Sylvian

Hi Piotr,

Do you mean install RHEL 6.7 then apply latest pack or fresh install RHEL 6.8 will do? Just checked the compatibility guide it only mention 6.6 and 6.7 are supported .....any ideas?

Thx a lot.

Sylvian