cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

AMD Virtualization on IBM AIX 7.1

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Everyone,

As per documents we can use only VMware environment for the AMD virtualization.

we have a situation where we really need to install an AMD on IBM AIX.

Does anyone has a personal experience or knowledge about this?

Regards,

Babar

4 REPLIES 4

Erik_Soderquist
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Red Hat Enterprise Linux on x86 or x86_64 is the only supported Operating System for the AMD software.

I can't imagine any convolution where this could work, particularly since I saw the results of an attempt to run the AMD software on the SUSE RH clone, which would be a much closer build than AIX to RHEL, and it failed to even start the AMD software.

-- Erik

Hi Erik,

Thank you for your reply and sharing your experience.

I am writing some details to get your advice that we deployed 4 AMDs an in enterprise environment. 

We are getting SPAN from the access switches and found most of the backend traffic is not capturing by AMDs, after discussions new information came from the customer that they have 2 IBM AIX boxes where almost 60+ VMs are running.

We discussed this matter with their network team and they said if the traffic will remain inside the box like machine are connected to vSwitch and talking to each other  then we will not be able to capture the full traffic.

These machines are mostly backend like MQ (Middleware) and Databases etc...

May I know that how we can capture the traffic from the vSwitches in this situation?

Regards,

Babar

You could try and look into the "virtual tap" market.

I'm not sure how they run on AIX but it's Worth a try. Besides, a tap would give you better quality network traffic than a SPAN, so it's a step up!

Hi Ulf,

Thank for for the suggestion. I will look into it.

Regards,

Babar