cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD silent install

benjamin_johnso
Organizer

Hi, I am creating a silent install script to use with an automation tool for deployments to our estate.

We are not using the kickstart script, as required by our organisation & agreed with DynaTrace.

I've got a script with pre-checks for various things on the OS, such as filesystem, java version etc.

However, I found that when I run the installer, the script just hangs - I think due to the reboot prompt that the installer .bin file presents at the end of the installation.

Can I override the reboot prompt by forcing it to reboot once completed, or by-pass the reboot & get the automation tool to handle it?

If not, is it possible to extract the RPMs & scripts from the installer /bin & then run each via a script to allow the automation tool to run the install?

8 REPLIES 8

brett_b2
Inactive

Hey Ben,

Which automation tool are you using? I've automated AMD installs and upgrades using Chef and for the reboot step, I told it to enter in "y" and then [carraige return]. Then, we could just deploy, the box would restart, and then you'd have an AMD upon next boot 🙂

Regards

benjamin_johnso
Organizer

We generally use HPSA, as far as I can see, I need to have the 'y' to reboot within my install script :S. I can't think of any way to get a bash script to do this either - it just hangs when running the line to do the install...

I've used "echo -e 'y\n' >y.txt" and then "program <y.txt" to automatically supply a 'y' response to an input prompt before.

-- Erik

john_leight
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Please be sure to also look for packages that could cause the AMD problems - like irqbalance. Some of these services should be stopped/disabled. They are listed in the kickstart file also.

benjamin_johnso
Organizer

Hi John, I've included a run of the installer with --test-system & read the output to check if there are any services that aren't recomended

wojciech_kurek
Inactive

Ben,

You can use the standard Linux 'yes' utility to supply a positive answer to the reboot prompt, e.g.:

yes | ./upgrade-amd-amdos6-x86_64-ndw-12-04-02-0024-b001.bin

Wojtek.

Thanks - this is perfect, & I'm using yes "n" | upgrade-amd-amdos6-x86_64-ndw-12-04-02-0024-b001.bin --force so that the script can continue & do some post install configuration & checks before the system is rebooted 🙂

I never knew of the 'yes' utility - great tip!