So, anybody knows why am I unable to save it?
Also, another interesting I try to do is that, I do a DMI in another client site that has no such problem in their DCRUM, then I export the DMI as xml file, and finally import the xml into this.......'problematic' DCRUM environment, turns out I am able to import it, but I cant rename it or assign it to other report sections.
Appreaciate if anybody can shed some light on this, there seems to be something off with the DMI, my colleagues would really need the DMI to speed up his work.
The DCRUMs are of different versions, so I think it explain the unusual behaviour after importing the xml I export from somewhere else.
But for this error that pop out whenever I want to save DMI report, yes it happen to adminuser as well.
Hi Adam, the report xml is export from another CAS which is of version 12.4.12, the CAS where I imported the xml into (i.e the CAS that is having this problem is of DCRUM 2017)
As for the xml file, I am afraid I can only give it to you few days later
Before I asked this question here, the environment is CAS 2017, RUM Console 2017, ADS 2017, and classical AMD 12.4.
Two days ago, I upgraded the AMD to HiSpeed AMD 2017. So now I've fixed the final.....'puzzle'.
But the problem of unable to save DMI report (Error while processing DMI PopUp) still persists.