cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Any ideas on monitoring the utilisation of a layer 2 link?

derick_hewetson
Organizer

I have a DCRUM sysytem, monitoring several sites. Among these sites, there are 2 data centres. Unfortunately, both data centres are connected by a layer 2 network link (i.e. LAN extension), so there is no distinction between the two data centres in terms of IP address ranges.

The network link is used for several software services, but the main one is a software replication service. The client would like to monitor the utilisation of the link by software service, as he suspects that the replication service at times consumes all the bandwidth.

Is there a way to monitor such a link with DCRUM? The current version is 12.3.4, but an upgrade to 12.4.1 is possible, if that will help.

1 REPLY 1

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

DCRUM 12.4 adds layer 2 monitoring, but that's along the lines of VLAN tagging. It sounds like the DC will be running the same VLANS too.

I think the solution here, would be to have NetFlow data collection from the switches on that link, and feeding that to an AMD and thus CAS. Then you can see waht data traverses the inter-DC link.