cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Asistance with silent install of DNA 12.4.5.100

corkinsr
Newcomer

We want to make a silent install of DNA 12.4.5 available to end users to install when we need to analyze network issues on their workstations. The users are NOT admins on their machines, so we are deploying the application with SCCM, using the system account. However, the install fails every time when it reaches the TTAUP.EXE step to generate the admin\password file. If we run the same install manually on the machine with an admin account, it installs fine. Here is the error code generated in the MSI install log:

"CustomAction TTAup.exe returned actual error code -1073741819 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)"

Here is the install syntax used: (Note, we originally installed to program files (x86), but changed to C:\ thinking that may have been the issue)

msiexec /i "Dynatrace Network Analyzer Agent.msi" /qn BROWSERDATA=1 ADDLOCAL=ALL AVUSERNAME=example AVPASSWORD=example INSTALLDIR="C:\Dynatrace\Network Analyzer Agent\" TARGETDIR="C:\Dynatrace\Network Analyzer Agent\" /l*v c:\temp\DNAInstall.log

Are we missing something that will allow this to install?

9 REPLIES 9

Tomasz_Szreder
Advisor

Hi Russ,

I think the
command you’re using looks fine (there is an asterisk in the log output
parameter, but I assume it’s just a typo).

I’m not
sure why that is, but I’ve seen clients get stuck on the TTAup.exe step when
deploying our agents via SCCM or Tivoli. I haven’t had anything to do with
these, but if there is a way to disable this step from installation, you can
rerun it independently and put generated files into agent installation directory.

The syntax
is as follows:

TTAup.exe "InstallDir" "AgentAdminUsername" "AgentAdminPassword" "2408" "" "" ""

It creates two
files: encrypted password file for agent (ttagentauth.ppp) and default ports
configuration (PortCfg.txt). You can put the files there after installation, but be
sure to stop agent service first ("sc stop VantageAgent" and then
"sc start VantageAgent" after you copy the files).

Hope this
helps.

Regards
Tomasz

Thank your for the quick reply! I will try disabling the TTAUP action in the install, and run postinstall. I will report back what happens.

You're most welcome. Let us know if that works for you.

corkinsr
Newcomer

I wanted to report back that creating a transform to disable the TTAUP.EXE action worked! We have a postinstall script that runs, and performs the following: Stop the Dyna service, run TTAUP, then re-starts the Dyna service. Thank you again to Tomasz.

There is one caveat that I am not so sure isn't "operator" error by our network team. They claim that with this automated install, they only see data in one direction. Here is a quote from one of them,

"I only get data in one direction. I see packets going to her
PC and nothing leaving or replying from her PC. In the middle of that capture I did a ping. I get ICMP
replies from my command line, but I do not see them in the capture."

Does any one have any idea what this may be?

I should also add that bi-directional capture supposedly works with manual install for them

This is definitely surprising.

- Are they using a BPF filter? It could be set to only accept incoming packets in the trace.

- Do they have more than one NIC on the capture point machine? Maybe their filter excludes the other NIC and drops packets returning via a different NIC.

I was told there are no BPF filters. As for multiple NICs, only our laptops - Ethernet and Wireless, the desktops just have one. This happens to both laptops and desktops. I'm clueless at the moment

dbsweeney
Newcomer

This problem persists with version 12.5. running the install from SCCM 2012, the install fails at the TTAup.exe install and install fails. this issue is preventing me from installing the agent. If a transform is necessary, some details around that would be nice.

the Error is: '

Dynatrace Network Analyzer Agent 12.5 Build 130 -- Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action TTAup.exe, location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dynatrace\Network Analyzer Agent\TTAup.exe, command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dynatrace\Network Analyzer Agent\." "" "" "2408" "" "" ""'

I manually installed the app and ran the command provided and it worked. If I could get the install to work, I can create a task sequence that will import the credential file.

commands I'm running in case future me forgets:

certutil -addstore "TrustedPublisher" Compuware.cer #installs the cert

cmd /c RUNDLL32.EXE SETUPAPI.DLL,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 CWEnprobe64.inf #installs NIC otherwise the install prompts for the install.

msiexec /I yada yada.

Anyone?

Since the request for SCCM agent deployment support is a
frequent one, we set up an SCCM instance and are actively investigating this.

From what we’ve learned, SCCM deployments work well with
newer operating systems (Windows 8.1/2012 R2/10), but get stuck on TTAup.exe in
Windows 7/2008 R2. We have a test agent build without TTAup step and it is
deployable with SCCM on Windows 7/2008 R2, so we’re now looking for an
alternative solution. Can’t provide any estimates at this point unfortunately.

I know some of the clients perform installer repackaging and
disable TTAup step, then run TTAup.exe independently. I don’t know how this is
made as we have minimal experience with SCCM, but I’m letting you know some of
the clients solved the problem that way.