Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Decode for Oracle Dataguard traffic

Nathan_mcclain
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hello Everyone,

My customer is interested in monitoring the traffic between two oracle databases that use the Oracle Dataguard feature. Im looking to configure the software service, i was wondering if anyone has used DCRUM to monitor this type of traffic and what decode was used. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

harshal_pujari
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Nathan,

If I understand correctly, since you want to monitor the traffic between a primary and standby database, you want to monitor the Redo Transport services. Is that correct?

I looked in the community and other JIRA cases; I couldn't find any posts relevant to Data Guard.

Are you able to take a capture for additional analysis?

Regards,

Harshal.

Nathan_mcclain
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Harshal,

Thanks for the quick reply on this, I believe that is what they are looking for, but currently im examining my span configs to see if the AMDS are able to get such traffic. Sadly no Capture options at this point. Was mainly looking to see if anyone has seen this before and what decode they used, but based on your additional research there hasnt been much activity on that. Ill provide any updates i get. Thanks.

Nathan

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

The Data Guard traffic will probably not contain useful query information (since it's basically just log shipping, rather than actual queries), so it's probably best (once you can capture it) just use the TCP Generic decode for availability and throughput metrics.