cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bitcoin blockchain monitoring

filip_kalinski
Participant

Hi guys,

anyone who has played with any kind of DCRUM E2E monitoring of the bitcoin blockchain protocol?

If so, how did you solve it?

7 REPLIES 7

saanjeith_varat
Inactive

What kind of traffic would the Blockchain be sending over the wire? As long as decoder available, this should be possible - with a supported security protocol attached of course(not DHE keys for example).

@Andrew Coutts do you have any insight into this topic?

-Sanj

ulf_thornander3
Inactive

@Filip Kalinski

How do you see yourself monitoring this?

Blockchain is a distributed and encrypted database (sort of) and nowhere I look can I even find any specifications about the Network Protocol being used.

If you have some developers playing around with this I can pop by and have a look-see 🙂 and then we can smash our bright heads together and try to come up with something?

I'll even bring some fikabröd!

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Bitcoin typically works on a standard port #, not always, but it'd be a good start. Anyone using a non-standard port number would be difficult to track (but your firewall rules block non-allowed ports yeah?)

Standard port is TCP/8333

The protocol is a proprietary, but open one, possibly a candidate for the universal decode.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Protocol_Specification

filip_kalinski
Participant

Hi guys,

Thanks.

well I was thinking of monitoring "our" node traffic from/to the network, not "MONITORING THE BLOCKCHAIN" ofcource 😉

As I understand it is pretty much clear text so it should work with XML-decode. Have not played with universal-decode yet.

Please let me know what the outcome of this is. This is very cool, interesting stuff!

-Sanj

ulf_thornander3
Inactive

Is there anyone that can share a trace from some dev/test Environment so I can try this with either the XML decode or the Universal decode?

filip_kalinski
Participant

I will try to manage to get a trace during the week. Let you know.