cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

CAS benchmark tool

Roberto_Vannucc
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

Hi there, talking about the CAS Benchmark tool to determine the performance of the connected database. A customer would like to know which type of tests are performed on the db to determine the performance, in order to tune it. Is there any info available.

Thanks Roberto

8 REPLIES 8

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

You mean the customer would like to modify CAS Benchmartk Tool?

Roberto_Vannucc
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

No, I mean that they run the tool and had a "bad" score. So they want their DB people to speed up DB performance, and in doing so they would like DB people to replicate what the benchmarl tool is doing in order to see if they achieve benefits in tuning. This is why (at least they told me) thay whan to understand whick type of tests it is doing.

Thanks. Roberto

ulf_thornander3
Inactive

Rob - is the SQL virtual or physical/cluster?

Roberto_Vannucc
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

Hi Ulf, sorry for the delay. It is a virtual cluster (I believe - but not 100% sure). The question of course came after we are digging performance problems. We thought it could depend on the DB, the customer said that their DBA told them it is OK, but running the benchmark tool gave them a score very low (like my vm). So they are wondering which type of tests are performed in order to tune and veryfy results.
isn't there any detail on how the tool works in terms of type of tests?

Bye Rob

Well Rob - Knowing you're an Italian, I didn't expect an answer that quick 😉

The tests executed are a bulk of the ones predominantley executed by the CAS processes. In that way your DBA's and VM operators can better understand what to expect when/if they proceed. My biggest question is still: What if the score is bad, is there something I can tweak in the server (or what are the bottlenecks)?

Roberto_Vannucc
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

Hi Ulf, the customer don't know yet what the bottleneck could be, if I/O, Network as being remote or server ( I doubt this last one) .

Rob

ulf_thornander3
Inactive

You can always suggest using AppMon to find out 🙂

fstekelenburg
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Interested in a follow up on this. We have a customer suffering from significant slowness.
DB server is MS SQL on a VM/ESX environment.