cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAS monitoring via JConsole using JMX Remotely

sooryaprabha_mo
Inactive

Hi

CAS is running via JRE. We tried to monitor the CAS using JCONOSLE using JMX remotely.

Need below information to proceed:

1)CAS is running on which application server(Tomcat/Jboss or anyother)

2)How we can enable JMX parameter for CAS.In which file we have to enable
Also which port needs to be used to monitor CAS using JMX.

3)Is any batch file available for CAS to start.

Is any other way to do this CAS monitoring via JConsole Remotely.

Kindly share your suggestions.

Thanks,

Soorya

12 REPLIES 12

david_alonso
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

1) Tomcat

2) On the 12.3 version, you have the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adlex\Watchdog\Dynatrace Central Analysis Server you have the key javaPrarams where you can put the next keys that comes from the tomcat documentation:

-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=%my.jmx.port%
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false

Replace the my.jmx.port for your port. this is not using ssl and not using athentification.

3)They use a service that will take the parameters from the registry, just change the registry key to add this parameters and should work.

I hope it helps

Take in count that this will affect CAS performance too.

Hi David,

We tried the above procedure and it seems it is monitoring something.But we are not sure whether it is the CAS JVM. It is monitoring the process windowsjre_x64.Is it the process on which the CAS can be monitored?

The CAS is started as a java windows process and it is use to call like this

Hi David,

We are now able to monitor the CAS from the same machine.But not through jconsole on a different machine.Does some addtional changes need to be made on the remote machine as well ?

No, in my knlwedge, but I will check, anyway, do you have the JMX port open from the remote machine to the CAS or just open for all on the CAS?, see on the windows firewall if you need to put some rules or if your security guys are blocking the access to the CAS with a firewall.

Hi David,

We were able to monitor CAS from remote machine after adding the following parameter:

-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.rmi.port=%my.jmx.port%

Thanks for the help 🙂

Thanks David for the answers it will really help us

Access denied to the link.Please share the content in it.Thanks for the suggestion

Interesting intall the dynatrace over the CAS. this for sure will give a lot of information 🙂

ulf_thornander3
Inactive

Hi @Sooryaprabha Mohan

If you do want to experiment with this I suggest that you don't start in a production Environment as it might have unwanted effects on the CAS. But here's how:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is possible to monitor CAS/ADS/CSS/RUMConsole in dynatrace and yes it is supported exactly in the same manner as monitoring of any other java application.

For CAS/ADS you would need to add the java agent directly to the invocation line in registry or to <cas/ads directory>\server\runserver.bat in case you are not using window's services.

javaparams= -agentpath:"c:\Program Files\dynaTrace\dynaTrace Agent 5.5.0\agent\lib\dtagent.dll"=name=CAS_12.0,server=172.18.149.72:9998 -Xmx3861M -XX:MaxPermSize=256m...............

In CSS/RUMConsole that are build on a programming framework you need to add the agent to wrapper.conf.

c:\Program Files\Compuware\RUM Console\cva\eclipse\configuration\wrapper.conf

#jmx server, jconsole

wrapper.java.additional.6=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote=false

wrapper.java.additional.7=-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

#wrapper.java.additional.8=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=21099

#wrapper.java.additional.9=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false

#wrapper.java.additional.10=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false

#wrapper.java.additional.11=-Dosgi.debug=

wrapper.java.additional.8=-agentpath:"c:\Program Files\dynaTrace\dynaTrace Agent 5.5.0\agent\lib\dtagent.dll"=name=RUMConsole,server=172.18.156.120:9998

Please note that the list of "wrapper.java.additional" parameter numbers must be continuous hence I add the agentpath on top of active (unhashed) list.

The last step is to add agents to system profile in dynatrace Client and _restart the system under test (CAS/ADS/etc)