cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you pull Rule Description into a DMI report?

bob_zins
Helper

On the Services Tab of the Rule Configuration of a Software Service there is a "Rule Description" field. I would like to include this field in a DMI report but can't determine what this Dimension is called. Is this filed available to include in a report? Noye: running v2019

6 REPLIES 6

Jacek_Janowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Bob,

Rule description is not available for reporting in any DMI data view, that's the reason you could not find proper dimensions providing such information.

But I have some good news for you, I think I can suggest some kind of workaround (I hope you'll find it easy) to achieve your goal. My idea is based on on Calculated columns, feature which is available in DMI. It allows you to create new column containing basically anything, so, why not to include descriptions this way. Please, have a look at my example report (and Calculated column's definition):

and find attached zipped xml file with report's definition.

Probably you'll need to adjust it (use your own software services names) to work correctly in your environment, it is just a demonstration how to approach the problem.

This is not the end of good news. I believe you don't have to create your report manually, copying descriptions one by one form Console to f_SWITCH expression. We have provided you all the tools necessary to create it automatically. Let me explain that with some more details:

1. Report definition does not have to be modified with GUI, as you can see it is standard xml file, which means you can modify the file (and later import it to NAM server). Which means you can prepare the script to modify the xml file, to be more precise, <evaluatedColumn> tag.
  2. Descriptions for software service rules are also available not only in Console GUI. You can either go to applications.xml file stored in /usr/adlex/config/ directory on NAM probe, or (I would reccomend this way) use Console API https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/nam/nam-console-api/nam-console-api-software-services/ to get detailed software services configuration. Rule description is stored within <description> tag.
  3. Both points above mean, that you have all necessary tools to create script reading configuration and copying context of proper tags into report's definition. Of course, as usually, scripting and automation makes sense when amount of data is huge. If number of your software services is relatively small and you don't expect frequent updates, you may consider preparing your report(-s) manually.

On more thing you'll need to be aware of, is, that those descriptions are on the rule level within the software service. That means you can have multiple rules and multiple (different) descriptions for single software services. On the other hand, on reporting side, we have software services level only (sum of traffic meeting all the rules). As long as you have one rule per software service it is no problem at all, but in case of multiple rules (with unique descriptions) under single software service, you'll need to take it into consideration.

Example of customized descriptions for software services.zip

Best Regards,

Jacek

bob_zins
Helper

Jacek, thank you for all the details. I might be missing something because I'm not sure how to apply this for my situation. I have a software service with several sub rules. Each of these rules relate to unique ports. Each rule also have a "rule description" with the name of of the port the the development team knows. In a sense the rule description is the "port name". This is the field that I'm trying to display on a report. See the attached screen print of the Software Service configuration. Hope this makes my question more clear.

Hi Bob,

I think that my idea presented above could be applied to your case as well. All we need to do is to introduce small modification to the report. Since each rule from your Software service definition is related to separate port, we need to do two things:

* Add Server port dimension to the report

* Modify Calculated column expression to use Server port number instead of software service name

Please, have a look below to see my example report:

I have also attached xml file with my new report definition (zipped)Example of customized descriptions for software services 2.zip

I hope you'll find this helpful.

Best Regards,

Jacek

Jacek, This worked ! Thank you for the help.

I'm really happy to hear (read) that 🙂

One more, hopefully useful, comment:

Expression selecting proper description could (if you want to add descriptions for multiple software services I would say that even should) be improved, to include both, server port and software service name. Here's the example:

f_SWITCH(<Server port>==1040 && <Software service> =='IS_CV Robot Communication', 'Customized description 1' ,
<Server port>==1041 && <Software service> =='IS_CV Robot Communication', 'Customized description 2' ,
<Server port>==1042 && <Software service> =='IS_CV Robot Communication', 'Customized description 3' ,
'Customized description not yet provided for this software service')

Best Regards,

Jacek

bob_zins
Helper

I'm with you, I'm not really pulling the rule description from the software service itself, but replacing the port number with a custom description that matches the name I have defined in the software service.