cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capture packets in CAS

The 12.2 documentation indicates that the packet capture option which used to be listed in atscon, has moved and can be accessed through the URL http://server_IP_address/capture

However when we used the suggested URL, we get an error stating "Path is not registered".

Is this a known issue and if so, what's the work-around? We have a client who used to use this option on a regular basis but since upgrading to 12.2 SP1, they cannot use this option in CAS any longer. Capturing from the AMD is not really an option due to their user access policies.

4 REPLIES 4

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Sorry, but that feature was removed from the CAS. It was replaced by Network Forensic feature -> see 12.2.0 release notes.

Technical Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

The old "packet capture" function was removed from CAS to address security concerns.

The initial implementation of that feature was thought more as a diagnostic tool. We did not endorse using it on an operational level, as it could impact AMD performance. What is even more important - it presented a serious security flaw in DC RUM - as anyone could monitor anything on the wire. 

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Andre,

Would you please point me to this incorrect part of the documentation you mentioned - I would like to correct it.

Maybe you can consider getting your client familiar with rcon way of capturing traces?

Adam,

I saw that in the 12.2 DCRUM_Admin.pdf, Chapter 11, page 231 under the heading "Capture Packets"

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen, I suggested they use rcon for tcpdumps.