Change CAS SERVER_UUID

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

I've got 3 newly built CAS (new SQL, new database, new servers) all have
the same SERVER_UUID as an existing one, so I can not add them to RUM
Console.

Two questions

1. How does the CAS (installer?) generate the SERVER_UUID parameter? I don't yet know if these servers (they're VMs) were cloned, or built new.

2. Is there a supported way to change the UUID - or is it just a matter of changing that value and restarting the CAS - any side effects? anywhere else to change it?

3 REPLIES 3

1. CAS generates the SERVER_UUID at startup if it detects it is missing. This means that CASes were cloned after the first start as it is not possible to generate three identical UUIDs.

2. As a general rule you should never change it. However if you have a mess like this then you should go to General Properties Editor (atscon) and delete the SERVER_UUID property and restart CAS. It will be regenerated at startup.

Side effects: if you have a farm, then it has to be removed and recreated with new UUIDs. If you added your CAS(es) to the console you have to delete them and readd after changing the UUID.

Mind you, if you cloned the VMs, the server's SID are the same and it is strongly adviced to change them, with sysprep. I tried to join a lab domain once with a cloned server and ran into this.

If the SID is not reset you can expect this:

• You cannot log in to an Active Directory domain.
  • Your virtual machine cannot connect to network shared drives.
  • You see this error:

The name or security ID (SID) of the domain specified is inconsistent
    with the trust information for that domain

reference:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/searc...

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Robert,

Your theory is correct, I found out the CAS configs were copied via RUM Console after installation. We're raising a ticket, I wouldn't think a "unique" ID should be duplicated as part of that feature.

Frans,

Thanks, We've checked and the servers themselves are unique, I was unsure at the time if they were or not (I don't have access to the servers directly).