cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citrix Channels in DC RUM

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

Hi

Every now and then I get questions about the names of the Citrix channels in DC RUM.

These names are nothing that the decode makes up but something that we decode/discover in the traffic.

Here are a few that I found but if I get it right, you can create your own virtual channels too:

Default values for ICA chanels are presented in the table below:

The separation of ICA traffic into multiple streams lets administrators apply Quality of Service (QoS) prioritizations to individual components of an ICA session.

15 REPLIES 15

this is great, thanks Ulf!

demblans_m-ssii
Participant

Great to have this information

What about the CTXTUI channel

I don't find any news about this channel on Google

Salut Mathieu

As I said  - from what I understand, you can create your own channels and if there is no description of it, then very likely this is a channel that is user-created.

sylvian_lam1
Organizer

Hi Ulf,

Do you know any channel that can tell the login time? I remember I saw that in previous Citrix decode (12.2) but I can't find it after upgrade to 12.3 SP2.

On the other hand, any idea if DCRUM can monitor the elapse time of XenDesktop startup and application being clicked within the XenDesktop window? I suppose the answer are "NO" but want to see any workaround to achieve.

Thanks.

Sylvian

As you said Sylvian - No - (smile) not that I know of.

But I would try a reverse engineering by looking at a station/IP that I know and then check the corresponding activity, perhaps with a DMI report.

sylvian_lam1
Organizer

Yes, Ulf. That's what I'm trying now.

However, see lots of "All Other" and "All Operation" and groups in 5 min interval. (sad) 

What is the source of you traffic?

Are you using SPAN or a TAP?

sylvian_lam1
Organizer

It is SPAN. could be packet loss or packet overrun I think, as what we've discussed in other thread.(wink)

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

Yes - my thought as well.

Capture a trace (filtered) for a 5 minute period and load it into Wireshark and see what it says.

Use the tcp.analysis.lost_segment filter to spot the gaps in the sequences.

tony_anthonis
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

What does the 'Screen Launch' channel mean ?

Screen launch time is the time from the beginning of the TCP session to the moment something appears on the screen (virtual channel data appears)

sylvian_lam1
Organizer

My interpretation is screen bitmap updates.

Joshua_Clay
Guide

Great article Ulf, I have been involved with Citrix on some accounts and its always great to get more insight into what we are seeing.

jakub_stary
Inactive

Is it possible to define custom Citrix channel in DC RUM? We would like to exclude one channel from "All other" and monitor it separately. Thanks