cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling Baseline Data Generation

BabarQayyum
Leader

Dear All,

@Adam P. @Sebastian K. @Erik S. @Christopher C.

Need your expert opinion about the following statement and our current Business Hours Configuration.

"The minimum data coverage (in minutes) over a single day that allows for baseline calculation. If a day contains fewer than RTM_DATAFILL_FACTORminutes of data, a baseline will not be calculated from the data for that day".

Due to a financial institute, the business days and hours were configured in the below screenshot.

What we are loosing with this configuration?

Should we increase the minutes from 1152 to 1440 to make it 24 hours?

Regards,

Babar

4 REPLIES 4

Christopher_Cha
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hi Babar,

Actually increasing the value would make CAS very stringent on baseline calculation... Right now, CAS is calculating baseline of a day if it at least contain 1152 minutes of data for that particular day. That means if yesterday has at least 19.2 hours of data, then you will get baseline data for yesterday.

Now, if we change it to 1440 minutes, then that means yesterday must contain a full 24 hours worth of data or else CAS will not calculate that day for baseline. Using another example, if I change it to 60 minutes, then the baseline triggering condition becomes very lax.

One last thing to note - when we mention about 19.2 hours of data, it doesn't really mean that during this timeframe there must be full of data samples... CAS only looks at the time stamp of the first data sample and the last data sample for a given day, and use that to determine whether it fulfills RTM_DATAFILL_FACTOR. So even if I only have 2 data samples at 12:01AM and another one at 11.50PM, the condition is fulfilled and CAS will generate baseline for this day.

Chris

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your explanation.

When we mention about 19.2 hours of data, it doesn't really mean that during this timeframe there must be full of data samples... CAS only looks at the time stamp of the first data sample and the last data sample for a given day, and use that to determine whether it fulfills RTM_DATAFILL_FACTOR. So even if I only have 2 data samples at 12:01AM and another one at 11.50PM, the condition is fulfilled and CAS will generate baseline for this day.

Please correct me about the above statement that there will be no benefit / impact whether I change the value RTM_DATAFILL_FACTOR or keep the default.

Regards,

Babar

In short, I don't see any benefit by increasing the value for RTM_DATAFILL_FACTOR. Impact for increasing it? Well, CAS would be more stringent on generating baseline.

Hello Chris,

Thank you for the clarificaiton.

Regards,

Babar