cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

DC RUM Upgradation Question

nchakkar
Newcomer

Hi Team,

We are planning to upgrade our DC RUM environment from 11.7 to 12.3. We are having below queries.

CAS & ADS on same server : We are having CAS & ADS on same server which is having 24 GB. Please let us know minimum supported memory. Whether upgrading memory from 24 GB to 48 GB will be sufficient?

AMD:  Is it necessary to upgrade RAM to 64 GB from 32 GB. Also please let us know minimum RAM requirement as our AMD box can support RAM upto 48 GB only.

Thanks.

Regards,

Nilesh Chakkar

5 REPLIES 5

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

Hi Nilesh

Normally it's not a good idea to have the CAS and ADs on the same server since they work in paralell so effectively you will be hitting the SQL with a double load.
Depending on the amount of ADS traffic, it "can" be possible anyway - and in the end the only effect is that you will have a slow CAS+ADS.
As you can see by the table here Report Server General Requirements the table doesn't list the combination and stronlgy advices from having them both together.
However - if you have a brand new SQL with SSD's and get a good score from the benchmark CAS Benchmark Tool Overview I would probably take a chance and try that out anyway - given that you are already running like that.

The problem that is looming is that if your process times (the time it takes to process the incoming data) is to big, you will be eating up the time of the next batch of data coming in and so you will build an increasing time loop and in the end you will have a server that glows in the dark and your reports will be way outdated.

In the end it all depends on the amount of data you process, both on a AMD level as well as on a report server level.

For the AMD, it depends a bit on how much traffic you are hitting it with, what kind of traffic and the nature of the packets.
But I wouldn't settle for less than 64 GB anyway (unless it's only going to process Netflow data or a single decode) and I would absolutely upgrade to RedHat 6.6.
Else you have pretty much all the info you need ower here AMD General Requirements

harshal_pujari
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Nilesh,

Please see the pages below for DC RUM 12.3

Report Server General Requirements

AMD General Requirements

Also, in the Report Server General Requirements page,  there is a note regarding CAS and ADS on the same server:

For production environments, we highly recommend that the CAS and ADS be installed on separate servers to ensure a solid level of performance. We support installation of the CAS and ADS on the same server for non-performance testing and demonstration purposes only.

I would also recommend to go for a 64-bit AMD. 12.3 version is the last version to 32-bit AMD; so starting out with 64-bit would be helpful. Recommend memory for a 64-bit 12.3 AMD is 64 GB.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Harshal.

sylvian_lam1
Organizer

Hi,

Just saw this thread and want to know do we need to adjust any parameters on the AMD after upgrade the memory? I installed the AMD when it was 32GB RAM but we plan to increase the memory to 64GB. I knew there is a registry to increase JVM settings after adding more memory to CAS, not sure AMD.

And Ulf, 

Why you said absolutely update to RedHat 6.6? Any special reason or stability issue on 6.5? 

Sylvian

Hi Sylvian

Don't worry - You can run 6.5 if you want to, it was just me that prefer the "latest&greatest".

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

When upgrading memory on an AMD, you probably what to check the Packet Buffer size, increase it if it's not already at the maximum.

Setting Packet Buffer Size