cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC to get SNMP Protocol

qianqian_peng
Inactive

Hi,

My cliens is asking if DC can analyse SNMP protocol or get the SNMP protocol from other device and show the information in DMI report?

Thanks,

Clare.

4 REPLIES 4

ulf_thornander3
Inactive

Hi Qianqian

What do you want to measure by means of SNMP?

It's quite an old protocol and few modern day things can make good of it. Usually it's used for various management things rather than to measure things such as EuE and response time.

Since the client is interested in using DC to monitor some network device( SNMP is
often used for network infrastructure equipment.), that's why they are asking, if DC can be used to monitor the SNMP protocol via the spanned network traffic or if network device can send the related information in SNMP protocol to DC and we can use DC to show the dashboard?

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

DCRUM doesn't directly monitor SNMP traffic, or actively query network devices.

With one exception. When NetFlow monitoring is used, DCRUM will use SNMP to the NEtFlow devices to query link speeds.

Krzysztof_Ziemi
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks that the "SNMP" term here is used more as a representation of a certain class of measurements rather than the measurement methodology itself. For example, a desire to report on a network link utilization, as opposed to a desire to rad the link utilization measurements fro the router interface statistics.

If this is indeed the case, then the NetFlow, mentioned by Chris V, could actually be the best answer. DC RUM can report on a number of KPIs that deliver better, more relevant characteristics of the same environment. For example, the network link utilization mentioned earlier. And many others - but the first step is to define the real business needs, as opposed to technical needs for methods of gathering the information, while its purpose and goal remains undefined. then map those goals to what DC RUM , or the whole Dynatrace, can provide and how.