cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCRUM AMD on SUSE

randy_south2
Inactive

Has anyone tried successfully to install and AMD on SUSE at a client? We have a client that their Linux standard is SuSe 11.3. I see no documentation stating this will even work, so I need to check prior to telling them only RHEL.

THX

7 REPLIES 7

Erik_Soderquist
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

I have seen it attempted using SUSE's "RHEL Clone" and it failed badly; the customer purchased an RHEL subscription to proceed.

-- Erik

przemyslaw_tafe
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

This kind of question (running AMD on other Linux distro than Redhat) comes back once in a while.

The only supported platform for AMD is RHEL. AMD would also work on CentOS (abbreviated from Community Enterprise Operating System) a Linux distribution that attempts to provide a free, enterprise-class, community-supported computing platform which aims to be functionally compatible with its upstream source, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).

However, once again, retail AMD installations are only supported on legitimate RHEL distribution.

randy_south2
Inactive

THX. Didn't think it changed, but wanted to confirm before talking to client.

randy_south2
Inactive

Client is asking for the details on why SuSE will not work. Any words of wisdom to relay back to client? Can't just say it doesn't work. THX

Erik_Soderquist
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

The AMD was written for the RHEL environment and has dependencies within that environment; it has not been tested (and as far as I know there are not plans to) in any other environment. As other environments are neither supported nor tested, we can't say why it won't work. Any guesses as to why would be just that: guesses. We aren't going to speculate on why an unsupported platform doesn't work.

-- Erik

randy_south2
Inactive

Thanks. I will tell them all this info and explain that it is not supported on any platform beyond RHEL. Probably will not satisfy them, but will have to be the answer. If anyone has any additional definitive reasons why SuSE will not work, please pass them to me. THX

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Because the AMD is doing some out of the ordinary things (Our custom drivers and things like SSL decryption) built around the Red Hat kernels and packages, no easy task to then support all distributions of Linux.

For example on SLES12 the AMD installer will not let you install, quoting an unsupported system.

If you do try and fool it (the check is pretty rudimentary), it'll complain about a rather lengthy list of missing dependencies, SLES's package manager (yast) is not able to meet all of these.

So you can tell your customer, it won't work, SLES is missing dependencies (even if you managed to meet them all, there's still no guarantee it'd work due to the kernel differences), and it of course (primarily) isn't supported by Dynatrace.