cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCRUM - AMD - /var/spool/adlex filling up

phillip_rand1
Contributor

I have 4 AMD (classic) appliances- 2 (redundant) in each of my datacenters. The 2 in datacenter B are constantly hitting 80% (and counting) space utilization in the /var/spool/adlex/rtm folder. The 2 in datacenter A are always < 50% full. Is there some "purging" that is supposed to happen that isn't working? The datafeed (from gigamon) should not be much different in either datacenter. I'm just not sure where to look to troublehshoot this. All of my software services are published out to all 4 AMDs, so there should be no difference from that perspective. Any suggestions??

8 REPLIES 8

Erik_Soderquist
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

The datacleaner process is run from cron every 15 minutes by default, and purges expired data each run. If there is less than 20% free space (default) after purging all expired data, data cleaner will purge oldest first to get back to a minimum of 20% free space

Check /var/log/adlex/datacleaner* log files to see if datacleaner is running and what the results are.

-- Erik

adam_piotrowicz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Yes and the "purging" job is running in your env. That's why you have no more than 80% of used space.

The job is called datacleaner. You can observe its work in /usr/adlex/log/datacleaner.log file and configure in /usr/adlex/config/datacleaner.config file.

Thank you , gentlemen! Looks like the logs are updating, but I didn't find this in the "cron" table, must get kicked off another way. I have seen the utilization run up past 90%, which is when we added 400 GB (and that quickly filled up). So, I'm trying to avoid a situation where mount point fills up completely.

phillip_rand1
Contributor

Also, the datacleaner.log is updated every hour, so it looks like the job runs hourly- how do I configure that to run more frequently? It doesn't appear to be a setting in datacleaner.config.

It is supposed to run every fifteen minutes, so it looks like someone has already modified the cron job that runs it...

-- Erik

phillip_rand1
Contributor

Hi Erik, It's not running under 'cron'- as far as I can tell, I checked all users cron table on that box. Something else is dictating the schedule. For now, I adjusted the "minFreeSize.percent" to 25 (from default 20) and manually ran the "/usr/adlex/rtm/bin/datacleaner" and it dropped my utilization to 76%, so I'm ok. I would like to adjust the frequency to 15 mins though, just not clear what setting that would be.

default cron config location for this is in

/etc/crontab

and the default line is

1,16,31,46 * * * * root /usr/adlex/bin/adlexcron_run15min

-- Erik

phillip_rand1
Contributor

OK- this is not added to the cron table in the traditional way, it's added to a folder called "/etc/cron.hourly" 🙂 Anything added there, is automatically run every hour. So, i'll need to remove that- then set up cron to run this file every 15 mins.-