cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCRUM and dT integration behavior: How does it work?

Christopher_Cha
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hi guys,

Could anyone explain to me how does Pure Path ID plays its role in the integration? If I understand correctly DCRUM will pick up the dynaTrace header which contains the Pure Path ID and correlates it with its data. Does the dynaTrace header injection only happens on servers with dT agents so for DCRUM any operation in front of the server tiers with dT agents will not obtain Pure Path ID?

Thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8

harshal_pujari
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Chris,

I have a IBM Datapower device (on which we cannot place dT agents) configured in DC RUM. Datapower also sits in front of the JVM's and all the Web Requests for Datapower are picked up by dT. There is a drilldown link available to dynaTrace from DCRUM for Datapower requests; in short, I don't think we need to have dT agents on servers for DC RUM integration.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Harshal.

Leszek_Sobiecki
Dynatrace Participant
Dynatrace Participant

Hi Christopher,

your assumption is correct. dynatrace-DCRUM integration is practically limited to DCRUM web tier, so IDs (tags) used by other agents (Java, dotNET) are irrelevant to DCRUM.

Christopher_Cha
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Thanks Harshal and Leszek.

Here's a current scenario that got me curious about how dT Pure Path ID and DCRUM work together.

The customer has two applications: CP and ESV. Both of them have .NET agents deployed on the servers.

CP has a LB (192.168.111.16) and then the .NET servers (192.168.111.217-219). Both tiers have Pure Path ID.

On the other hand, ESV also has a LB (192.168.103.42) and then the .NET servers (192.168.103.171-186). Only the .NET servers have Pure Path ID.

Any reason why the discrepancy between similar application architecture?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Christopher_Cha
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hey guys, another update:

Basically I want to verify the correlation between DCRUM and dynaTrace:

From the image above, I'm interested in a particular PurePath ID, 33101.

So I verified the existence of PurePath 33101 in dynaTrace:

However, when I try to use the dynaTrace PurePath drill down link:

No data will be shown in dynaTrace.

I'm not sure how do we ensure the drill down to dynaTrace works even after confirming that DCRUM is able to identify dynaTrace header... Any insight about DCRUM-dynaTrace integration behavior is much appreciated!

Best regards,

Chris

Chris,

do you end up with the same empty report in dynaTrace AM for other set of dimensions as well? I.e., can you drill down from one of EUE Overview > Applications ?

If not, can you confirm that you have specified connections your AMDs in your dT system profile "Integration" ?

The reason why I am asking is that dT AM to DC RUM integration requires configuration on both ends. DCRUM / AMD needs to know which purePaths IDs to pickup, while dT AM needs to be able to learn about correlations in CAS between pupePath IDs and aggregates (like software service, tier, etc).

Best,

Sebastian

calvie_shipman
Newcomer

Just a fyi.... You can delpoy dynatrace agents to datapower devices...

Christopher_Cha
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hi Sebastian,

I discovered that most of the other applications have data in the DC-RUM Integration dashboard, just this particular application has zero data once drilled down. Not sure if this is related to DCRUM 12.2.2 Resolved issues (APMODCRUMM-3247, APMODCRUMM-3224, APMODCRUMM-3210). I've already engaged the customer to do an update.

Hi Calvie,

Thanks for the information!

Christopher_Cha
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hi guys,

Just to update anyone that is still interested to know or might face the same issue:

https://support.compuwareapm.com/supportportal/browse/SUPDT-6365