cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does DCRUM capture SOAP Faults?

mike_ditmar
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

A customer asked if we capture the standard SOAP Faults from our SOAP defined Software Services.

I see in the RUM Console that we can configure various HTTP Errors (4xx, 5xx Client and Server errors) and enable them to affect the Availability, but I don't see where the standard SOAP Faults are captured. These would be the SOAP Faults containing error or status information contained within the SOAP Message. They contain the following 4 elements: faultcode, faultstring, faultactor and detail.

Do we capture this detail with our SOAP decode?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

harshal_pujari
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Mike,

Yes you can capture SOAP Faults in the ADS. In the SOAP Software service, please capture the operation attributes as shown in the screenshot below:

http://i.imgur.com/kkSATF4.jpg

I recommend using the wizard, but you can also capture operation attributes manually.You would also need to enable ADS data for that SOAP software service.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Harshal.

mike_ditmar
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

Harshal, thanks. So it's not automatically captured, we need to enable it using custom Operational Attributes. Where did you get the information on how to set this up? Does this configuration capture everything, or do we miss anything?

Hi Mike,

When you edit the SOAP Software service, the RUM Console help gives you info on how to capture operation attributes.

Also, this configuration captures everything.

One important points:

• ADS data for SOAP is a all or nothing configuration, meaning you capture data for all operations or no operations. So the ADS might exceed its threshold depending on the number of SOAP operations.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Harshal.

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

Hi

Does this imply that a CAS without ADS will miss the faults?

Hi Ulf,

CAS without ADS will give you the number of faults (assuming each one of them is configured as an operation attribute), ADS gives you the details for each fault.