Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does DCRUM work with s824 platforms (IBM) Lpars without physical nic

Nathan_mcclain
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hello,

My customer is in the process of moving over to a new IBM platform known as the s824's. For this hardware platform each lpar that resides on that machine shares a single NIC card. My question is has anyone ever had a DCRUM environment which monitored lpars in a situation where the lpar didnt have a physical NIC? Is it even possible for these IBM platforms? Is it possible to configure a virtual AMD to accomplish this? Any input would be much apperciated. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

ulf_thornander3
Inactive

You can Always monitor them but if your question is if an AMD can run there, then it all goes back to whether RedHat can run there as the newer AMDs make the native RH drivers work pretty well.

The CAS and CSS should be fine.

chris_v
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

AMD won't run on a S824, as it is PowerPC based hardware. AMD is only supported on x86_64.

Now if you can pipe the traffic out to a x86_64 machine, you can monitor it that way. I'm not familiar enough with IBM's Power offerings to know if that is possible or not.

Nathan_mcclain
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Thanks for your input Ulf and Chris. I think the issue i am having is more directed to the act of getting that particular lpar's traffic out to our AMD, like what Chris was mentioning. Based on my talks with an IBM resource the s824 switches are inside the actual s824 device. he also said that for the s824 platform the physical nic cards are dedicated to the VIO partitions. The million dollar question here is it possible to get a particular lpars traffic on a s824 to be sent into my customer's DCRUM environment.