cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the Protocol version of WAN optimization affects calculation of WAN optimization measurements?

yohnishi
Organizer

Hi All,

Our customer are considering introducing DCRUM. So they ask us the following questions of WAN Optimization.

Would you tell us the answer?

Question1: How does the DCRUM classify as WAN optimization packets or other? Is the WAN optimization packets classified by Web Cache Communications Protocol (WCCP)?

(I understand that WAN optimization corresponds Riverbed and Cisco products.)

Question2:If DCRUM use WCCP to classify the WAN packets, does WCCP version affect the classification of the pakets? (If WCCP protocol changes the specification, DCRUM can not classify the packets?)

Question3: I think that the WOC side OS of Riverbed and Cisco will rarely change OS version. If Question 1 and 2 are correct, the OS version does not affect the WAN optimization culcuraton of DCRUM. Is this correct?

Best Regards,
Yasuo Ohnishi

5 REPLIES 5

Krzysztof_Ziemi
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi,

DC RUM does not use protocol analysis to classify WAN-optimized versus LAN traffic. Protocol analysis is used to match LAN and WAN traffic in order to measure efficiency of the WOC and extrapolate end user experience on the far end side of the WAN.

Classification of the WAN versus LAN side of the WOC can be done on the basis of pointing out the AMD sniffing interface that receives LAN or WAN traffic copy, and/or VLAN tag that carries WAN or LAN traffic, and/or WCCP ID that carries LAN or WAN traffic. In fact, classification is three-fold: WAN, LAN that is subject to optimization and all other LAN (data center LAN) that is not a subject to optimization. When configured, AMD matches WAN and LAN traffic using criteria as mentioned and uses protocol analysis to perform measurements.

For more detail on how WAN optimization monitoring is configured, please see https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/dcrum/rum-c...

Best regards

Hi Kris-san,

Thank you for your reply.

I was almost able to understand. so we have to explain how DCRUM works, is it ok one more question?

How does DCRUM get WCCP ID? Is it in WCCP protocol packet? Or raw TCP protocol packet?

Best regards,
Yasuo Ohnishi

WCCP service ID is in the GRE header of the packet, forwarded via WCCP-negotiated tunnel. In fact, WCCP negotiates a GRE tunnel and then uses it to send the packets between router and the device like WOC.

From the configuration perspective, it's rather simple. Quoting the documentation (link shared earlier): service identifier can be a number from 0 to 254 and can be obtained from your router by running the show ip wccp command at the router's command prompt.

Hope this helps.

yohnishi
Organizer

Hi Kris-san,

Thank you for your explanation. Your explanation was very helpful for us.I understood this content.

Now we are making the DCRUM proposal to many our customers, so I'd like to learn a lot from you and all member.

Best Regards,
Yasuo Ohnishi

It's always a pleasure being helpful. Don't hesitate to ask any questions in the future or contact me directly if you need more help.

Sincerely,

Kris Z