cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Data Sources

josh_cooper
Inactive

For data warehousing purposes, is it possible for us to backup the CAS database to a seperate SQL server, then mark it as an external data source and report on it using the DMI, so we could keep the CAS fast, but keep long term data available to be pulled if necessary?

For example, if I set my retention period to 32 days, then do a SQL backup on the first of each month, can I restore that database on a remote server if needed and run my existing reports against it by changing the datasource?

3 REPLIES 3

mazen_mheish22
Inactive

Josh,

Technically, it seems to be possible to do that, but you would have to make sure to turn off all the aging and maintenance features, otherwise, your data will be lost.

Considering that you were able to identify all the different settings for aging and all the maintenance tasks and disable them properly to avoid any data loss, you still need to have a separate CAS server that supports this backed up database in order to be able to connect to it as a "Report data server" using DMI. Since this is going to be a separate CAS server, you probably need to maintain a license for it. Not sure how many licenses you are entitled to and how many databases you are planning to keep, but if you are planning to do that every month for a couple of CAS servers, then this could easily get out of hand. I can't imagine the effort that would be needed to manage all those servers.

Thanks,

Mazen

josh_cooper
Inactive

That begs the question though, when it looks to the report data server for a connection, is it connecting over webservices, or directly connecting to sql? With webservices you'd need to have a VAS service and license, true, but if it's just looking for a SQL level connection to the database, it wouldn't necessarily care as long as the structure matched. Also, if it wasn't relying on a VAS service to host it, then the maintenance and aging procedures wouldn't be run against it either.

I'm thinking similar to old NetworkVantage, where there were seperate databases for long term storage. Most data was polled out of the nearterm database, but you could also run reports against the long term database as needed. Seems like this would be important functionality to account for if you're touting RUM as the replacement to all of your NV customers.

mazen_mheish22
Inactive

Josh,

A CAS can only connect to a single CAS DB. You cannot have a single CAS connected to several databases. So you need to have another CAS server connected to this backed up DB.

Thanks,

Mazen