Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Geo Location Sites

SantiPalacios
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hello Team,

Now that we have DC RUM implemented, I want to show some of the stuff that we are able to provide with it. DynaTrace provides geo location and presents it on a map, where clients over the world come from.

I have heard before that we can do something very similar in DC RUM. Is there anybody that has done this before?

Right now we have internet predefined sites and it will show us the CARRIER from which a user came from. We would like to show city, state and country where the user comes from instead.

Thanks,

Santiago

13 REPLIES 13

david_lopes222
Inactive

Hey Santiago you might want to take a look at the Chapter 10 of the RUMDC_Admin.pdf, Configuring Sites, Areas, and Regions, specifically the Manual sites for your case.

Thanks David,

Definitely this guide is a great resourse, yet, after looking at the guide, I didn't see anything that was helpful to what I had in mind, that is why I posted on the forums and see if someone had done something similar.

Thanks anyway.

mazen_mheish22
Inactive

Santiago,

In addition to what David mentioned, if you actually want all of this information (City, Country, etc.) to be populated automatically, you can use Geobytes' geographical location information database. This needs to be purchased directly from Geobytes. The database comes in a form of a "map.zip" file which contains the following plain-text files.

• Cities.txt
  • Countries.txt
  • Regions.txt
  • Subnets.txt
  • ProxyNetworks.txt

Simply place the "map.zip" file in the report server (CAS or ADS) installation directory (usually the <install_dir>\geosites\ folder) . The database is read automatically and no server restart is necessary. This should occur on the next sample interval the report server processes. Successful geolocation information import is recorded in the CAS/ADS server log file and labeled with <Geoloc> marker.

Once this data is imported, you can edit any of your DMI reports and add the following dimensions (for client and server) to show the data.

• Client city
  • Client Country
  • Client geographical region
  • Server city
  • Server Country
  • Server geographical region

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Mazen

Thanks Mazen,

I think this is more along the lines of what I was looking for. I just wanted to have a database to get it from because I didn't it would be really difficult to add everything manually. Great source! Thanks, I will take a look

Santiago

Hello, (This is a great relic of reference)

(Background: I am developing some integration with Infoblox location for global Corporate network for an enterprise in APPMON 7.1) I would like to know is there 3-way mapping of Country-Region-Major City as per the drop down in appmon. Or where can i grab this?

ulf_thorn222
Inactive

Yes - If you can help me get it working (smile)

It is slightly dated though but it should show the principal at least.

przemek_tafelsk
Inactive

Geobytes sell the developers license for just $49 that can be used for 'development and evaluation purposes only'. Use of the geobytes data for DC-RUM demo purposes may fall into 'evaluation' category. Eventually if customer would use it after dc-rum purchase, they'd have to pay the retail license anyway. http://www.geobytes.com/Licenses.htm#Developer

praveen_begur
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

Hi,

Do you if is possible for DC RUM to use Geolite database - http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/legacy/geolite/ (as used by dynatrace)?

Or does this require a product enhancement? 

regards,

Praveen

Praveen,

Thanks for bringing this up to our attention.

While it's not possible to use the Geolite database in CAS as of present, since it is in a different format and thus it requires changes in the geoloc parser on CAS, it seems to be a rational alternative to commercial Geobytes database, especially since the License allows to (1) re-distribute it - so it could be part of our CAS installation and (2) allows to 'to adapt the work / to make commercial use of the work" and (3) it also contains geoloca data for IPv6, which we have not covered thus far (likely even the existing geoloc parser in CAS does not support IPv6 geoloc data, as it hasn't been changed (the parser) for years)". We'll fire this as product enhancement for PM's consideration. It has all valid points to implement it soon IMHO, but obviously I don't wanna make any promise it will happen so (soon).

regards,
Przemek

SantiPalacios
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

That would be great help here as well. I have been trying to work with the geolite database but it takes a bit more than just modifying the csv files. This would be great since the technology is there already.

regards,

Santiago

tarjei
Organizer

Hi, has this part, using the Geolite database instead gotten any traction?

If you create the ER - I'll vote for it (big grin)

tarjei
Organizer

I guess it should be possible to script a translation from the geolite format to the geobytes format? (That might break some license issues with geolite however)