cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I reduce size of CAS delta dB

james_francione
Newcomer
cas-db-growth.pngtwo-large-db.png

My DBA is asking if there is a way to trim the size of the CAS DB. I have attached a png of the tables and their growth. I have reduced the number of days of retention in common.properties , but I don't know what other steps I can do to reduce or slow down the growth of the database.

1 REPLY 1

Hi Jim

The size of your CAS DB will depend on various factors. How long you keep the data for, aggregation settings, software service configuration and number of devices/users/AMDs and so on.

I am not sure what setting you are changing the the common.properties file thought. Retention periods should be changed by navigating to <casip>/DiagConsole#/sp

Dropping the AMD_STORAGE_PERIOD below 10 days is the easiest way to reduce the DB size.

You could also change the aggregation settings for your users, disable L2 data, or disable auto-discovered software services.

What i would ask is why you want to reduce it? Any of these changes will result in a loss of data from your system and thus limit the value you can get from it. Another option you would have is to migrate to the new CAS cluster facility and split the traffic into two different DBs. For more information please see https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

Another point to note is that the CAS will not shrink the DB, so even if you reduce the size it will not release the disk space automatically.

Regards

Alasdair